• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the Duron 1.6 a fairly recent processor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aktunka

I am putting together a machine on the cheap for my niece and nephew and got a Biostar all in one mainboard and also got a Duron 1.6 that came with a Frys combo deal. I cannot see if the board is seeing the processor as a Duron because the version of the BIOS on that board doesn't have a way to turn off the stupid Biostar splash screen but it sets it to the correct settings. However, in Win 2k under the system info it shows it as an unknown processor type. Haven't seen much info about this processor so wasn't sure if that meant that it was a new release type thing or just not very popular. Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

From what you're saying, it's Windows who has a problem, not the BIOS. :)

And yes, Durons 1.6 are Applebreds, a fairly recent core like the Barton.

Well hehe I wasn't sure if Windows maybe picked up the processor type from what the bios tells it so wasn't sure on that part. And pretty cool on the applebred thing. If I was setting this up as my own personal machine I would probably try the overclocking and stuff but since it is just for the kids I don't want to go through the hassle of overclocking and stuff, especially since the BIOS on that crappy board doesn't have much in the way of overclocking stuff as it is hehe. Although the thing did boot just fine when I put the FSB at 166.

On a side note, was kinda cool that Biostar included a utility that allows you to overclock from within windows. I did mess with it a bit and clocked it up to about 1900MHz before i just decided to not mess around and set it to default. Anyhow, seemed promising :) And btw, the chip came as part of the Frys Combo deal with an ECS board a couple weeks ago and will probably be available again. The board and proc were 50 bucks total for the pair. In case you might want to look for one on the cheap :p

The L2 mod is quite easy - no need for filling in pits and stuff, just draw around the cut L2 bridge from gold dot to gold dot. This will give you an Athlon XP 2000 processor, if the mod works and the cache is disabled, not damaged.

Well got a couple of updates on this. First, the chip is a week 45 so looks like not able to be enabled into an xp (other threads on the forums indicate that this chip past week 40 is unable to be unlocked for cache and stuff oh well). Secondly, the reason that Win 2k was seeing the processor as "unknown processor type" WAS because of the Bios. Biostar finally put up a new bios that did not have the biostar splash screen and also had support for durons with 133fsb according to the website and bios descriptions. So, it is now being seen properly. Thanks for the helfp and suggestions.

Back