• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multipliers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snipester

Do you know if getting a CPU with a multiplier > 12.5x will work on a KT333 board?? Someone said that the 5th bit if activated on chip will change all the multipliers 5x - 12.5x to 13x - 20.5x........ on a mobo...... It has to auto sense

IS this true??

So your SURE it works for ANY KT333 board... like this is what occurs.... Not something weird?

It should work on most KT333 boards. There may be a few that it doesn't, but they'd have to have some serious problems. Changing the 5th FID should give you the higher range of multipliers (at the cost of the lower ones). I don't think the ulti thing is a neceaasarily a chipset limitation, it is mare of a motherboards problem. Look ar all the Nforce 2s that don't correctly set FID[4]... And my KT400 board does it just fne.

edit: If you do it correctly and don't short something out, the worst that will happen if the board doesn't work is that it either won't post until you undo your mod, or, more likely, it will just stay at the <= 12.5 multis.

What do you mean by changine th 5th FID??

I assume most people UNDO it to get lower multipliers
i want the higher ones since my mobo FSB sux
like a 1800+ or 1700+ and overclock it..... If I can find an unlocked
Is the general rule of thumb to look for CPUS < 0339 ?? before week 39?

The 5th FID bit (FID[4]) controls werather you have the high or low range on boards that only read 4 of the FID bits. I don't remember which way is which, but you probably have to change it to the opposite of what it is now. Check out ocinside,de or an interacive mod guide (bridge or pin) to get the right one.

Just to throw in my two cents worth...I have a KT333 board with a 12 multiplier and a fsb of 190. If I go to the 12.5/13 setting in bios, I get the reboot cycle going on. My system is very stable and not causing any problems.

Back