• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scorched Chips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here are some resized pics.

gozez-dead-2500.jpg

gozez-dead-2500-backside.jpg

The guy was gonna do the same thing to a Barton 3200 and a Athlon 750 (did they make those or is he talking about a T-bird). I convinced him not to do the same thing and he says he might give me the 750, so a new folder should be up by christmas when i get a router.

:D :D R on the floor. :D
(I'm sorry, the pics just killed me with :D.)

9mmCensor said:
Saw some pic of some dumba$$ that fryed his unlocked Barton 2500.

The chip looks like that... must have gotten hot...

So, how did the motherboard fare throughout all of this? At the very least, I wonder if he burned out a temperature probe (socket) by doing this.

Still, would have to be an impressive motherboard, I think, to survive something like that happening on it.

why would anyone do that to a unlocked barton! that chip is worth some $$$$$$ well.... it WAS..... atleast trade someone for a locked one if your going to burn it up for the heck of it.... or use some cheap pally... did he say what vcore he ran it at? and how long it took to burn like that? LOL

It wouldn't take much Vcore nor much time with no hsf. I would almost bet stock voltage and less than 60 seconds could do it, but I'm not about to experiment to find out!

Hmmm... I think I figured this out... I'm in a quazi creative mood, as you can guess...

* in some basement, in an undisclosed location, the torture of an overclocker... *

villian :: So, it has been 5 hours now. Ready to tell me your password?

OCer :: NEVER! I will never reveal my OC Forums password!

villian :: Your online life in insignificant compared to my lofty goals. I shall REIGN TERROR across the board starting in the ever so elusive General Discussion board... Now, this is your last warning, Tell me your PASSWORD!!!

OCer :: I will never tell it to you and there isn't anything you can do about it.

villian :: Very well. * turns on a desklamp * Do you know what this is?

OCer :: Hey! That's an awesome setup you have there, Mr. Villian dude! An unlocked Barton 2500... wow... and that motherboard... a

villian :: yes, yes, yes, we both know what sort of system we have here. Nice and somewhat rare... I'm going to go for a new overclocking record!

OCer :: but... um... you forgot your heatsync and fan...

villian :: Yes, I did. WATCH IT FRY!!! * switches on the power supply *

* time slows, the lights start to flicker, yet the small fire from the CPU remained ever so consistant *

OCer :: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

* after an eternity, time returned to normal, leaving the dead barton *

villian :: This is only the beginning. More shall die, all because of you, unless you tell me your password. Tomorrow, we will see if you are willing to let go of the insignificant for the silicon. Mua ha ha ha ha...

* room fades to darkness *

* The end? *

Close, but no choclate cigar (smoking is bad - chocolate is good)

hey hey, well i was just screwing around, had a spare *UNLOCKED* 2500+ so i put it into an old msi board, fired the thing up ran prime for about 30 mins, then removed the heatsink off of it while it was running, my thermomiter registered 397 c* at the highest point after about 15 seconds of operation without the heatsink. There was so much smoke, lol, even the fire alarm thingy went off in my room, lol anyway, i *SCANNED* the cpu so that u can see the damage that was caused, but OMFG it was so worth it! THE BEST SHOW IVE EVER SEEN! btw, im all intel now, well xcpt the 4 fx's i have running as servers, but thats not important, got my 2.6 c at 3.9 ghz , runs really well.

[check the pic]

http://members.rogers.com/gooseman/gozez-dead-2500.jpg

hheheh all of u who bought a locked 2500+ dont flame me plz i had nothing to do.

btw, made the pic so big so that all of u can see the dmg , brb, gonna scan the back side of it too

k, the backside is done, its not as scarry as the front side, but whatever.

check it:

http://members.rogers.com/gooseman/gozez-dead-2500-backside.jpg

i had to literally yank the cpu out of the socket because the socket literally melted on the sides... lol it was too funny lol. also, the cpu was clocked at 2.5 ghz and runnin prime lol. ill take some pics of the mobo in a few hours... lol a good educational experience kids. lol i sort of got the idea from Toms hardware like 3 years ago where he did the same thing, but he was testin the auto shutdown features of the cpu (which btw i disabled) so yea it was fun. ive got another 3200+ and a 750 athlon waitin on the desk

All i got to say is wow Never seen a burnt chip before i got one here that chipped my luck it was a OEM with only a Yr warr. it died a week and that warr was done.
those pics there show the true heat that can happen if parts and not installed right. Great post makes me want to make sure my heatsink is on good

Back