• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan filter on HSF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir Barton

how much cfm would i lose from putting a simple screen type fan filter on my HSF? im asking this because im getting an SLK-900A, and it looks like those fins might be hard to get the dust out of. are there any drawbacks to using a filter/screen on the CPU fan instead of a fan grill?

Loss of airflow and more noise are drawbacks, I think it's work the time to get the dust off of the fans. Still a better way to keep dust out would be to filter your case fan instakes, then the noise added would probably be less (if the fans are quiter) and the effects on your tempurature would probably be less as well. You would just ahve to make sure that you have slightly posotive pressure.

Sir Barton said:
how much cfm would i lose from putting a simple screen type fan filter on my HSF? im asking this because im getting an SLK-900A, and it looks like those fins might be hard to get the dust out of. are there any drawbacks to using a filter/screen on the CPU fan instead of a fan grill?

I fyopu want to control dust, place the filters on the intake fans ans make sure you have positive pressure inside the box, so you do not get air thru any other holes

yeah it would be better to put the filters on the intake fans to your case as that is how the dust gets in in the first place

I used to put filters on my intakes,but these filters (the foam one) tend to get clogged real quick ... and it looks really dirty with all the dust .. yuck .. so a 2-weeks interval of opening up the side panel and blow the dust off and quickly vacuum them works much better for me :D ... plus you lose none of the CFM :D

just a thought

Back