• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's relax and tight timing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

can u give me some example and explain their fuctions, all i'm seeing is a sequence of # and that doesn't help a newb much :). at any rate what's good for the system and what's bad. thanks for your help. it's kindda hard to search for a topic like this cuzz every where on the board people metioned tight and relax timming, it'll take me forever to find a topic that actually explain this. hehe.

Tight timings mean that the CAS, RAS, ect. are at the lowest settings. Like 2 or 2.5 Check it out in you're BIOS. Relaxed is when they are at 2.5 or 3. Go look at the ram part of bios and see all those options about ram? Pretty much if they are set on the lowest numbers-they are tight, but if they are higher numbers they are relaxed.

To quote Speed_Mechanic2 from another thread:

Basically.
The Lower, The Better.

Not to get into definitions, but to identify terms:
CAS Latency = CAS or CL
RAS-to-CAS Delay - tRCD
RAS Precharge - tRP
RAS Pulse Width or other names - tRAS or tRC

Whenever I give timings, I try to leave out tRAS, as it generally differs for each system. Usually tRAS should be CAS + tRCD + 2 but this differs in some cases, like with nForce2 chipset (where 11 seems to be ideal).

2-2-2 (CAS-tRCD-tRP) is generally considered ideal. If the system is unstable, then you must lower the memory speed, raise the voltage, or raise the timings. Usually, the first timing to go (or which stresses the memory the most) is a tRCD set to 2. Alot of memory cannot handle this, especially with less then 3V. Raising the tRCD to 3 also has the most significant single timing step effect on your memory performance.

The performance hit by raising timings decreases as timings get larger (raising timings from 2-3 hurts more then 3-4, and so on). Timings are usually measured in tCK (Clock Cycles) and can be converted into ns (nanoseconds) by getting the ns-speed that the memory is running at.

Memory running at 200MHz (DDR400) has a tCK (Clock Cycle) of 5ns (use 1000 divided by memory speed - 1000/200). Timings of 2-2-2 (tCK) on memory running at 200MHz (DDR400) is then converted to 10-10-10 (ns). Memory running at 3-3-3 (tCK) at 250MHz (DDR500) is running at timings of 12-12-12 (3 * 1000/250) when converted to nanoseconds (ns).

For definitions of what exactly each memory timing controls, there are several descriptions online that range from overly simplistic to downright confusing.

I hope that helps you..

Back