• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps not moving anymore?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itim100

Since it got winter out, my cpu temp (according to the sensors) is always at 42C once it gets booted up, even if i encode stuff furiously for a week or play a game. This is spectacular compared to my Thunderbird with its idling at 60C, but i find it suspicious. It used to go up to 50 maybe, but now idle and load are 42, even with my fan at 10% and only one blowhole fan. I have a SLK-800 and a TTake SmartFan II (i love them both, 2.5 ghz on air, ram at 200mhz). Even after i cleared a metric buttload of dust off the HS and applied ASIII (i had generic stuff before) it stays at 42. I am suspicious...

Well, did you start folding or anything? The differnce btwn the T-Bird and 2100+ doesn't really surprise me a lot, esp since you may just have a bette mount this time. However the fact that it doesn't change all all even when gaming and encoding is odd... but still possible.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it is unstable or somthing like that.

Thanks for the replies, I am checking with FanSpeed or SpeedFan, can't remember which (not at my computer now). It used to change. Not folding or anything (no internet). The bios reports the same thing, minus a degree or two. This is just after sitting in the bios screen for 15 minutes. Is it possible that the little thermal probe thing is not close enough to the CPU? Or do AMD chips have internal sensors?

Can't just be a good mount, it did the same thing two mounts in a row, and the second time i upgraded to ASIII. It is rock solid tho, even at 150fsb and 1950mhz (half my ram is crappy), and the temps are still 42C...

If you are getting those temps from SpeedFan then it is reading directly from the board...the question now is where on the board. My Asus has sensors from under the chip and the chip itself( I think).
At any rate one sensor is always 5C or so higher than the other. I pay attention to the highest reading- better safe than sorry.

As far as the temp not seeming to move at all, I wouldn't worry too much.
Mine stays pretty stable all the time too.

Back