• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will we see Quad Data Rate memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E_tron

DDR was a major step forward in the memory industry, however will we ever see something that can read and write 4 times per clock cycle?

I don't really know but I would guess no... Single data rate ram only transfered on one side of each wave, while double data rate transfers on both sides. That seems like a logical progression since one side of the cycle was going unused and other hardware could now utilize the extra bandwidth available.

From my understanding of the way things work, I don't see how writing more than twice per clock cycle would be possible.

I would guess that QDR is not going to happen like IMOG has said. On the other hand, the one thing that hasnt happened as of yet is makeing virtural memroy more efficant. Even with 1024 meg of memory installed, I still somehow seem to be subjected to the use of VM. The best advancement that could be made to memory is to make it better at multitasking so that we can eliminate virtural memroy. If that was possible games like HL2 and PlanetSide could possibily play on much lower end desktops. Right now, with the new games that are being realised, you really need to have a top of the line machine. I have a great machine, but I still get some lag, and lots of tweeking to go through constantly.

Swapping and inefficient use of memory is not the fault of memory chips, it's the fault of the operating system. There's nothing a memory manufacturer can do if Windows is a memory hog.

SiS is supposed to have a quad channel rambus chipset almost near completion. Would be sweet but rambus is dead as it seems

DayUSeX said:
SiS is supposed to have a quad channel rambus chipset almost near completion. Would be sweet but rambus is dead as it seems
not if they get Quad Damage!!

itizme said:

not if they get Quad Damage!!

been playing a tad to much Quake m8?

i wish QDR would happen, but as IMOG said, i dont know how they would want to send 2 signals per clock cycle tbh...

Jognt said:

been playing a tad to much Quake m8?

i wish QDR would happen, but as IMOG said, i dont know how they would want to send 2 signals per clock cycle tbh...

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone

lol I don't even want imagine how much quad data RAMBUS ram would cost. Geezbus. It'd probably be more than low latency registered crap. Oh boy, that is too sexy for me to handle :p

stamasd said:
Swapping and inefficient use of memory is not the fault of memory chips, it's the fault of the operating system. There's nothing a memory manufacturer can do if Windows is a memory hog.

Well said

qdr does exist. Micron was the first company to produce it. However samsung is not too far behind. Micron already had working samples of it almost a year ago. Here is samsung/nec's page for development where you can read more about the technologies. www.qdrsram.com

IMOG said:
I don't really know but I would guess no... Single data rate ram only transfered on one side of each wave, while double data rate transfers on both sides. That seems like a logical progression since one side of the cycle was going unused and other hardware could now utilize the extra bandwidth available.

From my understanding of the way things work, I don't see how writing more than twice per clock cycle would be possible.
They could do like the P4 bus and use 2 out-of-phase clocks, and transfer twice for each cycle of those...

Via has also been releasing chipsets that it says are compatible wit something it calls QBM (quad band memory).

I think DDR II is going to be the next big memory technology. Not so sure about the differences between DDR and DDR II myself.

Back