• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the cheapest i can make my wc for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTac02

Whats the cheapest i can make a GOOD wc system for?

Ok, heres the deal. I wanna make a watercooling system with a drx dangerden block, and a dangerden z-chip block. Thats it, 2 blocks. Now, do i NEED a pelt? how much will a pelt help? and also, what pump can i use that doesnt cost that much, im looking for the cheapest solution that will work well with those 2 blocks. Also, are www.dangerden.com kits good? can i build one from somewhere else for cheaper, i mean what would you do if u wanted to cool ur system with those 2 blocks?

Last edited:
Oh also, are those "black ice" radiators that good, whats the diff between a "pro" and an "extreme"? I already know i wana make my cooling system with 1/2 and thick tubing so it doesnt kink, also wana use the dangerden drx and z-chip waterblock, now for the rest what should i use.

Lastly, how much better will this perform than a slk-900 with a tornado lets say.

I would recommend using a chevette heater core instead of a dangerden radiator. it's cheaper and it works just as well.

for tubing, I would use clearflex60 or tygon tubing with 1/8" walls as it takes tight turns very well without kinking.

as far as pumps go, a lot of people like the danner mag3 or mag5, both have high head limits and high flow rates. I use a maxijet 1200 which doesn't have the head limit of a mag series pump but it flows good enough for a low restriction system. if you are going to use the rbx or whitewater, you'll definately want a mag3 or 5.

hope this helps

nice, ill look into the danners, also, where can i get one of those "chevette's?

Its a heatercore, you can get one from autozone or any other auto store. I would get a L30 for you, danners have leaking problems and doing the fix would be too complicated for your "experience level"

Oh ok thanks man. Still tho, can you point me to a guide that shows how to fix a danner mag. And if you could also tell me a "popular" place where they sell danner mags? ive found all kinds of pumps but the mags.

Thanks Korndog, but that doesnt help me at all. Looks like korndog or a mod deleted his post.

I would get a danner pump and just submerge it in a res. this, I have found, is the most beginner friendly way of watercooling. if you want, just get a mid sized deep tupperware container and put the pump inside with lines running in and out for the water. you don't have to worry about the leakage if you do it this way, and bleeding the system of air bubbles is a lot easier as well.

In the future, pleast post WC questions in the WC section- thank yee :)

Little Piggie- I agree with your above post, (hell, thats how I started) but I think as long as long as GTac02 does his research he should be fine skipping the noob set-up and going right to a non ghetto one (tupperware is ghetto ;) )

Anyways, I would suggest checking out www.dtekcustoms.com, and picking up some clearflex tubing, perhaps a White Water Water block (or an RBX from dangerden, whatever floats your boat), as for as the pump I've had a danner mag 7 that I ran inline (you'll want something like a danner mag 2 or 3 though) and I sealed it with silicone sealant (you could also use Marine/Plumbers Goop), available at Home Depot or Lowes.

Grab a ProCore from dtekcustoms along with a shroud and fan. If you're wondering, shrouds are used on the radiator to put a small space between the radiator and fan, this lessens noise and improves air flow. Grab a T fitting to fill your system with water and bleed it of air.

You'll also need distilled water (available at local stores) along with a water additive (like Water Wetter, etc) to keep the water in your system clean. I can't think of anything else right now.....

JML ur a god ;)

Nice, ill get these parts in like 3 weeks :D. Cant wait. So the danner mag i guess is a must huh, if so ill do what it takes to get it runnin good. Im going to get a dbx or whatever block and a z-chip (northbridge i guess) block. What about this radiator you told me about, how good is it (in comparison to others). Thanks.

Ive also heard that pumps are magnetic, how can i prevent from killing my system.

Last edited:
I would get a L30 for you, danners have leaking problems and doing the fix would be too complicated for your "experience level"
Hmm...actually, I don't think slowly hand screwing in plastic barbs and a little teflon tape is too far beyond your experience level. I believe in you GTac02. :) Just be careful, put a little vaseline around the O-Ring, and make sure you use plastic barbs. Piece of cake...somehow these pumps got a bad reputation because some people were screwing in brass barbs with wrenches...

I'd recommend the Danner Mag 3 over the 5. It has the same head as the Mag 3, which is what's important, but puts less heat into the water.

nice, and where can i get one of these danner mags 3? cant find them :(

Also, how much tubing would i need? im also planning on using a water reserve.

OH! :O what about peltiers?:p

Last edited:
you dont NEED a peltier, and you would have to run an extra PSU to run it.

What is your cashlimit?

An RBX from dangerden will NOT work with a pelt.

I have a couple of other questions.

Wats the difference between wc and prometeia in therms of MHZ.
Can i get 4ghz with water (what about 3.8ghz stable?)? seen this guy who got a 2.8 m0 on water ran 4ghz.
I the z-chip block important? is it worth it? how will it affect the speeds.
Whats better the white water or RBX block?
Whats the best pump if i wana run the rbx or ww and maybe a zchip block? HOW good is the mag 7?
Whats the best radiator?
Can someone please move my thread to the WC forums?

WHATS THE CHEAPEST FOR A HIGH QUALITY WATER COOLING SYSTEM? I got max $250

Thanks.

Yup, that's where I got my Danner Mag 3. A Mag 7 is a crazy amount of flow, and also a lot more heat put in the water. With the kind of setup you're envisioning, and even if you expanded your setup, the Mag7 wouldn't really help much. I'd stick with a lower power pump.

As for TECs...I recommend you get your watercooling running well, and learn how to tweak it and get the best performance possible before you jump all the way into TECs.

Well, we have a search button for a reason, but I'll answer one question for you:

Get a Mag 3, a Mag 7 is more powerful but adds to much heat to the water. The Mag3 hits the spot.

Mag3 is more than enough. If you wanna use a res, you won't need the T-fitting. As for the performance of a pro-core, I don't have any solid numbers, though it is believed to perform better than pretty much the whole black ice series (save perhaps the largest black ice radiator, which is probably ten million dollars or something like that).

TEC's are a lot of work and researching (and money!). Work on getting your WC going right now.

Allright, Thanks! Im here in school right now, just took this huge exam.

Anyways, yeah, I think im doing this too fast, all at once. Lol, im gona build my first pc and watercool it too hehe, but I can handle it, Ive built a pc for my cuzin before. Im thinking about a 2.8c M0. Im doing this in late Feb anyways (waiting for a rebate, and also prescott should drive prices down?), so maybe it will be easier to get one then. Im just obsessed with getting 3.8ghz or more, im actually aiming at 4ghz for real. Ill do whatever it takes (that is doable :p) to reach it.

1 Thing just to make sure. The water goes from the pump to the reserve, to the proc., to the z-chip block, and back to the pump?
By the way, would a "northbridge" waterblock help me (a lot, a little) in the quest for hitting the highest the processor can give? i understand its not possible to get 3.2ghz if the chip sucks, or i can get 4.3ghz if i get the best chip on earth. How much better is water cooling than air? how much better is vapochil than water? I saw this guy who got 4.1ghz with his water with a 2.8c m0, and I got really inspired.

Why settle for less?
Thats the reason why im getting straight into water and even TEC's if i have to.
Edit: and i would get a mach 1 if i had the money...

Back