• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HAHA... 99% isn't good.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I was thinking about AS3..what is it...99% NOT conductive?

I accidently got it on the solder all over my sound card, but I didn't think much of it since its not supposed to be conductive..

months later my sound card started to mess up my entire system, I thought that it was dying.

I clean off the AS3, and it runs fine. Amazing.

So I guess that 99% not conductve isn't very good when your having billions of signals going through the solder..

out of billions, .0001% is a LOT!!

lol

just keep this in mind. :)

Hrm not sure where you got the impression that AS3 was not supposed to be conductive. I think how conductive it is has been overstated, but as you have seen it doesn't take much ;) I just can't believe you got it all over your sound card (how did you manage that?? heh) and didn't clean it. Lucky it didn't get down into the pci slot and fry your motherboard...

Before I knew the GREAT FORUMS, I once thought that thermal compound was better cooling than air..so I put it over every single chip..

I guess that it ran to other parts over time.

Lol... Guess your were joking. Well, this is for real: One guy I know was tricked into thinking that lighter-gas(the kind thats in 'no-refill' lighters) could 'trim' his harddisk for better performance. The poor guy sat there with lighters spraying the gas onto the hd-chase. He even claimed that it did work...

Where did you think the heat went? Also, it may be non-conductive, but its capacitive. It can be just as deadly. I killed a duron and a tbird before I joined the forums because of a messy application.

I killed a mobo and a xp1600 processor, because i did not know that the paste only goes on the die, and not on the entire processor. :eek:
I was stupid back then, but that forced me to upgrade (and become smarter)

I thought that it was better to take the heat off of the chip and stay on the thermal compound then have air give it a try, rather than just on the chip and let air try to take care of it.

Back