• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New compound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

I was out today and decided to stop by a local computer shop i had not been to yet. they are fairley new.. anywho, the rock comapred to other locals around here, alot cheaper!, have many little tiny hard to find items!, and have not a huge supply but decent mod stuff too.. CCT's and all kinds of fans and controllers.. and such and they had a acrylic case there i've seen RECENTLY on the web for around 200bucks, for like 110.00 bucks! i was like WOW that's suprising.. anywho..

They had these little tubes of thermal compounds.. one silver , one copperish color.. i picked up a tube of the copper colored one.. (i'm only using reg white stuff now) and since it was like 3 bucks and something i was like what the hay..

i got home and was reading the little sticker on the tube and to my suprise had some thermal specs on it.. here's what they were

thermal conductivity: 7.5W/m-k
Thermal Resistance: 0.06C-in^2/W

and also says 5% aluminum and 10% copper by weight.. hmmm, thinking of slapping this on the new MCW5002A and see how it does.

I think that might have been to the fact that the layer was much thinner when applied by hand and reseated.

the white goop i had on there came with nothing.. it's what i purchased and hand put on and reseated. so nope , not due just to be'n hand put on and reseated.

i agree AS5 or Ceramique probably is alot better than this stuff. but after shipping and handeling.. wait time all that nonsence.. i'd rather just go up .3 miles and get this stuff that works pretty #### good still.. but that's me :cool:

Susquehannock said:
You should try Shin Etsu G-751!! :thup:

Vegemite is nasty stuff IMO. ;)

Arctic Silver 5 outperforms Shin etsu G-751 and Shin Etsu X23
http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=250560&highlight=shin+etsu
Picture_005.jpg

repilce said:
i agree AS5 or Ceramique probably is alot better than this stuff. but after shipping and handeling.. wait time all that nonsence.. i'd rather just go up .3 miles and get this stuff that works pretty #### good still.. but that's me :cool:

:) You should use what you feel most comfortable using my friend, anyways heres a thermal chart of the Thermal Properties of various metals

Thermal Conductivity, W/cm-K
Metals
Aluminum 2.165
Beryllium 1.772
Beryllium-copper 1.063
Brass 70% copper, 30% zinc 1.220
Copper 3.937
Gold 2.913
Iron .669
Lead .343
Magnesium 1.575
Molybdenum 1.299
Monel .197
Nickel .906
Platinum .734
Silver 4.173

Silversinksam said:

Arctic Silver 5 outperforms Shin etsu G-751 and Shin Etsu X23
> > > >

It's funny, I got an exact opposite reaction on another thread.
It seems to me that many of those who claim AS5 to be
vastly superior to the Shin Etsu compounds are NOT allowing
the compound to "cure" for a a few days.

And in general, I have found that these thick & tacky diamond
based compounds are much, MUCH more susceptible to bad
application techniques as they don't "squeeze" as easily.
Furthermore, if you aren't used to applying this stuff it's
extremely easy to flubb it up.

Maybe I'll get a tube of AS5 and try it myself.
My tube of AS3 is still half full though. :(

Shin etsu isnt conductive either . It is the only "allowed" compound on AMD cpu that doesnt void your warranty !! 2-3c lower vc . wont kill your cpu .. I like Shin - Etsu g751 - I like it a lawt !! Hard a h3ll to apply 100 % right without practice though .

StinkNBreff said:
Shin etsu isnt conductive either . It is the only "allowed" compound on AMD cpu that doesnt void your warranty !! 2-3c lower vc . wont kill your cpu .. I like Shin - Etsu g751 - I like it a lawt !! Hard a h3ll to apply 100 % right without practice though .

Actually you are wrong, G-751 is not AMD 'Allowed", the ONLY compound specified by AMD for short-term use on the 32-bit CPUs is Shin Etsu G-749. No other Shin Etsu compound, including G-751, G-765 or the X-23 series are approved for any use on the 32-bit CPUs.

Arctic Silver has contracts from The Department of Defense to NASA, so I think its safe to assume its tested independently to be safe.

Back