• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are light up fans any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shard

yo
are those LED fans any good at cooling or are they just for show?
i was looking to get a couple but im not sure if that is a wise choice since i am overclocking
thks
:cool:

they're okay...but if you volt mod, they're more show than go....if you're worried about case temps, then get regular fans as they'll push more air...i have the coolermaster and antec led fans..both don't push very much air (maybe 24cfm at best)...

most will push a decent amout of air... nothing like a tornado but around 30 or 32 CFM and they are pretty quiet.... the 80mm are good, the bigger the LED fan it seems the noise goes up and the air flow goes down. any 120mm LED fan i have looked at is super loud and about 60 cfm. just check the specs before u buy. SVC has quite a few fans and they list all specs.

Invest in some quality fans and as Clocker says, get the fans w/out lites.Panaflo,Papst,Sanyo-Denki are a tri of quality fans.They move the air with less noise and last longer than most fans.They are not that much more in cost compared to the quality.
Keep your flow up,THE FANMAN:cool:

I have tried a bunch of lighted fans...Coolermaster, Vantec UV lighted fans, Directrons lighted fans...For case fans they are okay...But compared to most quality fans the DBA versus CFM is usually not that good...They do look cool...I have gotten away from lighted fans and use UV reactive stuff...Still looking around for the good ones...I like my box's quiet...Having 5 or 6 screaming 80m/m fans is just not an option...But if you look around you should be able to find some decent lighted fans that will work great and look cool...:)

the only led fan that doesnt suck horribly is probably the thermaltake fans. they are basicly clear smart fans with led lights... they move reasonable air, i think the 120 mm moves well over 100 cfm for instance and they come with speed controls/temperature sensors.

the antecs i have are rather.. pethetic. i think even for their 120 mm size, they move 24-30 cfm tops... i cant tell, i cannot accuratly measure it and when i put my hand their, i feel nothing. I had to over volt mine to 14 volts just to get a light breeze. if you really want sweet looking fans, look into those r-ccfl fans. they come with 80 mm diameter cold cathodes that just look stunning on some fans.

Back