• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AMD for the money

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smartiepants

Well I'm looking at all these processors and they price difference between each is pretty significant, so which would you all reccomend for the money? I'm tending towards the 2800+ XP right now but I'd like some input.

I would say the 2500+ has the most overclocking potential, but then they did lock the multipliers...

Yes, if you don't have PC3200 RAM, get a 2100+ Thouroughbred B or better yet a DLT3C 1700+ B (not A) or DLT3C 1800+ B (not A).

Call me crazy, but I'd say the 1.8 duron. Unlock it with a pencil, you have an athlon xp for 50 bucks....assuming you get one that can be modded. I did :):)

You only need a pencil to unlock the new Durons? I thought it was conductive ink or something...

I think NinjaZX6R is confusing new Durons with the old ones. You can't use a pencil with new Durons.

johan851 said:
You only need a pencil to unlock the new Durons? I thought it was conductive ink or something...

Thats what was known as the "Pencil Trick" and put a piece of tape over it . yeah , back in the day , thats how we used to unlock chips , pretty funny huh?
Some p[eople even did a study on what lead to use , I mean like HF #5 from this plant , like CPU weeks. it was funny , cuz I did buy the "Right " lead for my machanical pencil .
I am looking too , I want to upgrade my 1700 DLT3C @2200, maybe one of those flashy Bartons I have been hearing so much about ?? hmmmm

Hm. 2.2 with DLT3C 1700+ B (not A), silent bob?

Inadequate cooling or a non-name brand power supply, not enough voltage?

Those chips do above average 2.3 GHz and when cooling and PSU are up to par they are known to hit 2.4, and even 2.5 on water...

Back