• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500 won't go fast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f29pc

Registered
New to o/c and at the end of my rope. I've got a locked 2500 barton (AQYFA 0344RPMW) trying to run it on a Biostar 7NCG (I am limited to a micro atx) at 200x11. No luck, the best stable setup I can get is 185x11, above that I start to get random lock-ups. Here's what I've done, I relax the mem timings and stat raising the fbs slow run prime95 and Sandra no errors. I can get to 200x11 and run both with no errors!and a high temp of 52c. I figure I got it, wrong.. try to run G2 filght sim or the kid plays spiderman it will randomly freeze, sometimes with a loud intermitent fast buzz(or low beep) temps seem ok 49-52. Then I would do a voltage mod,(cpu,mem,and igp) one at a time one step up at a time and run p95 and Sandra, no errors, but still have random lockups. Back the the voltage mods, run the test, same results. I took the voltages up to the max that the bios will allow and still the same. I have the AGP bus locked at 66 and it's my understanding that the PCI will stay at 33 on an nforce2 board. I am running it with an Entermax 350 Quiet PS.
CAN ANYONE PLS HELP ? ANY SUGGESTIONS .......
The system runs fine when not o/c..

PC2700 RAM overclocks about as much as that. Those are its limitations.

PC3200 RAM overclocks from 200 FSB on up, unless it's defective in which case it does below 200 FSB stable.

Yes you need to increase Vdimm RAM voltage as well as Vcore voltage for higher overclocks but watch your temps as you gradually increase voltage.

I am running Corsair XMS PC3200LL 256X2. I had XMS PC2700LL and could get to about 174 fbs, then upgraded to the 3200 thinking I could get to 200. I have upped the Vcore as far as the bios wold let me go, also upped the Vdimm as far as I could go (one step at a time) the temps topped at about 55-57 but still had the lockups. What do you think about the PS. Is an Entermax 350 enough, I run the 9800 a DVD rom 2 HDD , a Floppy and 5 fans including the CPU? I did notice on the stat. screen in the post I could pause it and the voltages showed lower then what was set in the bios. I am thinking of getting a True Blue 480.

What is the max Vcore for that board?

Plenty 2500's can't do 2.2GHz without 1.9 or higher, and that requires better cooling, like water, or you can move north.

Default FSB for PC3200 is 200 FSB.

If you can't do 200 even after you lower your multiplier, that means you have a faulty stick of PC3200 RAM. (I had one that could only do low 190s, it was defective.)

I've been playing with it heres what I've got now that hasn't locked up, fsb 194X11 Vcore 1.7 Vdimm 2.8 mem 100%=194 at
6 3 3 2.5 Tem load 51C. it will lockup if I set it to 6 3 3 2. the Corsair 3200LL is new from Newegg does this sound like I have a bad stick? I feel like I am slowing things down at 6 3 3 2.5. By the way I already live in Maine it's now 5 F and we just got another 10 in of snow.. By the way the Barton is locked so I cant lower the multiplier

When I first put my rig together I couldn't hit that 200 fsb with my Corsair XMS PC3200, I did everything but the highest I could go was 198 fsb. I really thought that I had a bad stick of memory. But after couple of months of "breaking-in" got it going at 202 fsb with 6-3-3-2 and stock 2.6v. Although to make my rig stable I had to increase vcore to 1.75v.(Prime95)
2500 Barton @ 2222Mhz(11*202), 1.75v
SLK-947U w/ 92mm Tornado
Asus A7N8X DLX, 2.0
512MB Corsair XMS 6-3-3-2
2*40G HDD
ATI Radeon 9600

I haven't gotten a 2500 that would prime for 24 hours at 2.2 or higher without more than 1.9V, current one included.

specific said:
I haven't gotten a 2500 that would prime for 24 hours at 2.2 or higher without more than 1.9V, current one included.

I've had 3 xp2500 chips; 2 week 27s and a week 31. All would do 2.2GHz at 1.65-1.67 volts. One wasn't folding stable at 2.25-2.3GHz without 1.85 volts; it had a big wall at 2.25GHz. I sold it to a friend who doesn't overclock. It was the week 31 chip.

The remaining week 27 chips are both folding stable at 2.4GHz with one requiring 1.80 and the other 1.73 volts. I'm hoping the best chip will run 2.5GHz when watercooled. All results were using a vantec aeroflow in a decently vented case.

I checked out The House of Help on Corsair's support page. There was alot of discusion on the timings for the TwinXMS 3200LL. Corsair basicly said it will not run at 2-2-2-6 at FSB200 and recomended 2-3-2-6, this ticked off many people and the thread got long and boring. Corsair said nforce2 boards should not be effected, but few people have gotten the 2-2-2-6 at 200 FSB
I am going to try those settings and call Corsair I'll post the results... Thanks, everyone, for all the help so far....

Being in the same boat (nforce, 3200, & a 2500+) I'd suggest you try to isolate the problem.

1. Check the voltages using MBM (or another tool). Make sure you've got the correct voltages to vcore, AGP, and RAM. My AN35NU undervolts a bit & 1.70 is actually 1.65 (according to MBM).

2. Run the RAM async. Run it @ 200 & play with the voltages & timing. See if it can run stable @ 200.

3. If the RAM checks out start on the CPU, back the timings down if you can (mine has a setting called optimal) & bump the vcore until it's stable.

4. Check the 12v amps on you PS, it's my understanding that NF2 boards use this line to supply the CPU (don't quote me on that, I'm usually wrong about such things - lol)

As with any OC, there are no certainties. Even at that you've got 194 stable, that 2.1ghz a 300mhz OC - not horrible.

Also, 50+ plus is a bit warm & you may need a bit more cooling.

OK here is how far I've gotten so far, 11X200 CPU 1.8 volts Mem. 6 3 2 2.5 at 1.5v, this seems to run very stable, installed the HydroCool 200 from corsair and it idles at 37 C and the highest I've seen under load is 46 C ! I love it. To me it is also very quiet, I removed 5 80mm fans !! The only issue I have is when capturing video with the ATI AIW 9800 PRO. At 11X166 and all defalt voltages it will do a nice job, but using the same capture settings at 11X200 it drops frames like mad.(the AGP bus is locked at 66) Any thoughts ??
Also am I correct in assuming that if I am running PC3200 at 200 FBS that the mem voltage is ok at 2.5, or should that be bumped up abit ?? I raised it to 2.9 with no change in the droped frame problem. Here's a third question, does any one have any opinions on which mobo would O/C better the Biostar NCG with an nForce2, or the NCG Pro with the nForce2 ULTRA chipset. I have both boards and with a new HTPC case I could use the PRO ?

Back