• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TMD Fan noise ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dragonprince

I bought a YS Tech 70mm TMD fan a while back and have been running it on an OC'd barton 2500 for the last 4 months. My wife comes in my office and says "Why is your PC so loud?"
Well after a little thought I remembered buying 2 so I pulled out the other and slapped it on the heatsink...man what a difference. I do not remember the fan being loud when I put it on, so I must have grown used to the "noise" increase slowly as the fan aged.

My question is have any of you noticed the same problem with a TMD fan becoming very noisy after a couple of months of use ? the spare I bought is honestly about half as loud as the one I pulled. Ive never seen such a noise increase in a fan....

eh, the TMD fan I got did not seem to be particularly built well.
I do not run it regularly, though, so I dunno

YS Tech makes some great fans, esp. for noise/performance ratio, but they aren't the highest quality IMO. Also, in my experience, they don't undervolt very well either (buzzing)

But yeah, cheap fans get noisy over time. My orb cooler is noisy like a mofo right now, time for it to go soon.

i've had the aeroflow on my oc'd barton for almost a year now i think and it has not gotten any louder. of course, i dont have a brand new one to compare to, but i'm pretty sure anyway that it's as noisy now as it was new.

I have two YS Tech 172x38mm fans on my heater core with the Nexus 301 fan speed controler. I have them turned down low as they will go and there still pump out more air than two 120mm 108cfm fans did. They haven't gotten any louder. My hard drives are louder than the fans. The fans are 240 CFM fans @ 53dBa I would say at the speed there at it would be a total case is 40dba with the hard drive. How do you get your hard drives to put less noise. Is there anything I can put them in?

extremecorvette said:
I How do you get your hard drives to put less noise. Is there anything I can put them in?

I made a cardboard box for my 2 hard drives. Cardboard spacers (screwed into the bottom of the drives) assure airspace around the drives. Kitchen-drawer-type no-skid material makes sure the drives can't slip out. The box is 6" wide so it fits very securely into my unused 5 1/4" drive bays. A slot blower (stripped of the metal slot part) sticks into one end of the box and sends some air around the drives - it's undervolted to 7v to kill any whine.

The annoying whine from my older Maxtor is now gone. Sometimes I can just barely hear them seek if they're hard at work for a few seconds. They sound like they're in the next room ... even though my machine is pretty quiet otherwise.

So yeah - some cardboard, duct tape, no-skid pads, a slot blower, and my drives are cooler and way quieter than they were before.

I've gotten a hell of a lot of use out of that sturdy cardboard box my monitor came in :)

quietpc.com offers some rubbery sleeves you can put your drives in, but these have the downside of potential overheating; they advise caution when used with 7200 RPM drives. I had an IBM Deathstar that corrupted some stuff (maybe from overheating) so I do want good cooling ...

I think someone out there could make some $$ from a ventilated and sound-insulated enclosure for hard drives.

the wesson

By the way, my observation about the TMD fan I'm using is that it replaces the usual fan 'whine' with a lower-pitched vibration. If anything in your case could respond to the vibration and buzz against anything else, this could also be a source of noise.

the wesson

Yeah, right now i'm trying to figure out a way to deal w/ the really annoying vibrations from my TMD.

Definitely less whine than my Smart Fan 2's though...

I have several box's floating around out there with Thermalright SK-6+'s with TMD fans...One has stopped ( I got to buy a new processor for that one ) and another one that is vibrating like crazy in a another one...:(

Hmmmm really wierd. Im having only glowing luck with my TMD fan. I oiled mine up and what not on the center hub and its extrodinarly quiet. It dosnt make any sort of squeel on its highest speed. All I hear is white noise of the air on the heatsink.

Now before I oiled the center its was alot noisier. The noise has gone down considerably not increased. Thank god mine hasnt died yet. <crosses fingers> Fortunatly I have a window and can keep track of it with both MBM and my window. I used the rubber spacers between it and my SK7. So far so good. Sorry to hear the bad news tho

But it vibrates something crazy. Its about as bad as my tornado in terms of vibration.

Ho hum, one of my LAN boxes with TMD + Vantec h-sink has just recently started to make excessive low frequency noise, like extra vibrations noise.
This thread has triggered me to check it up.

Yeah, i bought a 60mm one for my slk-600 and after about half a year, it became noticeably very loud even when i had it on low (3000 something rpm) with the fan controller. They should have a warranty or something on it if they don't already. But good thing i just switched to watercooling. But then again, i want a replaced TMD fan free of charge! I even cleaned the dust too.

Back