• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Problems/Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z3r0

Ok, I have had Kingston HyperX 512mb PC2700 ram in for the past month. I just got Kingston HyperX 512mb PC3500 in today. I put in the stick, boot up, and at the Windows XP Pro loading screen, the computer just clicks and restarts on its own. I let it go again and it did the same thing and then it restarts and a screen comes up saying if I want Safe Mode etc... I choose Safe Mode with Last Successful Configuration BOot up, and here I am. What am I supposed to do to configure my RAM with my mobo so it will boot up like it should?

Also, is there a way for me to make sure that my RAM is running at PC3500 now rather than 2700 like it used to be? Is the only way for me to check that it is is the CAS timings in the BIOS?

Are we saying you removed the old and installed the new?

FSB
Latency
Voltage
go to spec

use CPU-Z to check the mem

^^^^
yes,

would clearing the CMOS set the values to what it should be for the RAM stick so I wouldn't have to change them customely?

Here is a pic in CPU-Z of my memory:

fa4a18f0.jpg

Oh well, that is to small to read, I will post what it says:

Module Information: Kingston DDR-SDRAM PC3500 - 512mb

Timings:
Frequency: 158.0mhz
FSB: DRAM: 1:1
CAS# Latency: 2.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge: 3clocks
Cycle Time (tras): 2clocks

That is what it says for my Memory. My rated RAM speeds are:
2-3-3-7 1T @ 2.6v

So what do I need to change to make it those timings? In my BIOS, I could only change the 'T's to 2.0,2.5, or 3.0T. Is the reason I can change it to those only is because that is what it was for for my last RAM stick I had in? Would it be easiest to just clear CMOS? Would that put all these numbers/timings in for me that I am wanting to change?

Last edited:
Do you customely set your mhz for your RAM or just set default? Is it a thing where you just experiment how high the mhz will go on your RAM just like it is FSB on your CPU?

Back