• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Isn't FSB important?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
correct me if im wrong, but clock speed is what the CPU is runnign @ i.e. 2.0ghz. FSB has something to do /w the mobo.

also "over clockering"?

err you should find a basics of computers page

cpu speed = fsb x multiplier
higher fsb has the ram running faster (faster system)
so, if you have a high fsb, and a low multi, but the clock speed is still high, it's best performance

crimedog said:
err you should find a basics of computers page

cpu speed = fsb x multiplier
higher fsb has the ram running faster (faster system)
so, if you have a high fsb, and a low multi, but the clock speed is still high, it's best performance

not always

while the fsb might be high u need a good multiplier for the cpu to handle all that bandwidth or all that fsb goes to waste

In the tests I have done with my system I have found that *processor* speed and performance remains fairly constant regardless of FSB - raw MHz seems more important (although a high FSB will tip the scales a few points).

However, a higher FSB means faster RAM speed as well (timings etc. play a factor too though) - and higher benchmarks as a direct result.

FSB ain't "all-that" - but it does affect performance a noticeably.

Here's a real world example. I can run my 2500+ at 2200MHz in 3 ways:

1. 200FSB, multiplier 11x
2. 210 FSB, multiplier 10.5x
3. 220 FSB, multiplier 10x

Number 3 scores the highest in benchmarks. :)

Very good example stamasd - but, I'll bet that in Sandra, Prime95, and PCMark 02 (all CPU benchmarks) it performs roughy the same all the way through - when you remove RAM as a factor FSB makes little difference towards processor performance.

And how much of a difference does the higher FSB make to your 3DMark benches? Probably not more than 100 points by my guess. FSB makes a difference - but not a *huge* one. That is with the same Ram timings, and whatnot all the way through :)

high fsb is good for gamers... you have a lot more memory bandwith w/ higher fsb.

In 3dmark it does make a difference, but that's primarily because I use a KT600 motherboard, and so my AGP clock is higher too. Not as much as when I o/c my Geforce4 directly, but still.

i would rather have it like my nf7-s does.. changing my fsb doesnt effect my PCI/agp clock.. thats a good thing. You will get much more performance from high FSB than a few mhz on your card.. plus oc'n memory on vid cards isnt always so safe.

You will get much more performance from high FSB than a few mhz on your card
More general system performance probably, yes. In terms of games though, I bet a 10mhz clockspeed increase on your video card's RAM is going to be a lot more beneficial than even a 25mhz increase in FSB.

yea... obviously not. try benches in UT2k3..... you're gona get more out of fsb 1:1 overclocking than your vid card..

For a given system, one can approximate the performance or benchmark number like this:

benchmark = A FSB + B CPU

where A and B are some constants to be determined,
FSB is the FSB frequency in MHz,
CPU is the CPU frequency in MHz.

One can look at A as the benchmark gain per FSB MHz, and B as the benchmark gain per CPU MHz.

By running the same benchmark twice with two different settings of FSB and CPU, one can solve A and B (two equations, two unknowns).

For programs that are highly dependent on FSB and less dependent on CPU, the number A is relatively large, e.g. memory benchmark, ....

For programs that are highly dependent on CPU and less dependent on FSB, the number B is relatively large, e.g. Prime95, Sandra CPU MIPS and FLOPS, ....

For programs that are dependent closely on CPU and FSB, both A and B are important, e.g. 3DMark01, ....

Last edited:
You give with one hand and you take with the other. Sometimes you need to retard your memory timings to run at higher FSBs and that takes its toll on overall performance including gaming. Here is a partial quote from another thread:

Don't get sucked into that trap where fsb speed is everything. As I said before, running Synchronously, Dual Channel, my 3D Mark 2001se score for 11x200 @ 2-2-2-11 is 13,639, whereas 10x220 2.5-3-3-9 (needed for 220 FSB) yields a 3D MArk 2001se score of 13670. Well less than 1% improvement...

Whoo, big difference!

Hoot

I run at 223 1:1 async w/ 2,2,2,11 I dont have to give up tight timings for my fsb

*edit Dual chan also

High FSB likely generated more performance back in the days before the advent of the double and quad pumped bus and dual channel memory controllers (and integegrated memory controllers, aka athlonFX and Opteron)

yea... obviously not. try benches in UT2k3..... you're gona get more out of fsb 1:1 overclocking than your vid card..
Well, duh. Higher overclock means higher performance...but try some other benches. At high settings (what you'd usually play games at) framerates start to become a lot more dependent on video card bandwidth. I'm saying that if you have a constant CPU speed, then the extra memory bandwidth ALONE you get from a 25mhz FSB increase isn't going to make as much of a difference in games as a 10mhz video card RAM increase, at least in the majority of games.

thats such bull... oc your vid cards CORE 10 mhz.. i bet u dont even get 2fps diff.. you get performance from the vid cards memory more than you do the core...

the only games/benchies that are out now that are limited by the vid card so much where 10mhz would make a diff is DX9 games.. .. and when those dx9 games start to flow out... then i'll bother ocin my vid card. its pointless to say there is no point in having a high fsb.. why dont u just say there is no point in having a high anything.. go back to 100mhz sdr then

I in no way even implied that there's no point in having a high FSB.
you get performance from the vid cards memory more than you do the core
If you bothered to read my post, you'd see that I said:
I bet a 10mhz clockspeed increase on your video card's RAM is going to be a lot more beneficial than even a 25mhz increase in FSB
By RAM I meant memory. :)

There's definitely a point in having a high everything...that's why the proc in my sig runs around 2.6GHz, at as high an FSB as I can get. If you can point out where I said "there's no point to having a high FSB" then I'd be very happy to edit it. The higher the FSB the better. It just isn't as important to most games these days as a faster video card is.

Back