• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver Ceramique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jhl3

Just a word of caution. Once AS ceramique has gone through a few thermal cycles it bonds the CPU to the heatsink well enough that it will pull the CPU from the Socket. Yes the lever was locked. If one isn't careful this can result in pins on the CPU getting bent. I think this has been addressed before but it never hurts to see it again.

I've used ceramique for a while on my P4C and i've never had that problem, I just jiggle it around for a bit before pullling it out. And try to pull one side and rotate it as you pull it out instead of pulling the HS straight out. You will never have a problem as long as you are careful in pulling out the heatsink.

I wiggled the hades out of it. I maybe put too much on initially. I had to use acetone to break the seal.

jhl3 said:
I wiggled the hades out of it. I maybe put too much on initially. I had to use acetone to break the seal.

:eek: :eek: acetone?? how long did u leave the ceramique on ur cpu?!?! like a year?

Cyberwiz01 said:
hmmm, I wonder if ceramique could be used as an adhesive to stick ramsinks on stuff? :D
not good at all, as soon as it gets hot, won't be as sticky.
this sticky does happen to me as well with ceramique, but i don't have a problem because AMDs don't have a large IHS, they don't even have one at all. What u want to try to do is take it off at an angle, pull from one side instead of straight out. What u can also probably do is heat it up first, turn on ur computer without fan on for a sec, let it warm up (not burn) and then turn it off and take it off.

Try taking it off right after you power down your pc while it's still a bit warm.

I have had this also. I had to reseat my processor a few times in one day and after about ten minutes of running, it bonded the HS and CPU together. I guess the tighter the bond, maybe the better the temps?? I have had better temps with Ceramique than with AS3. My AS3 didnt bond like this stuff does.

I just use the rice size blob in the middle and let it spread itself. I have tried spreading it, but that results in about 5-6 deg C temp rise. I have tried both ways many times and this seems to be the best way and with lower temps

bchur83 said:
I just use the rice size blob in the middle and let it spread itself. I have tried spreading it, but that results in about 5-6 deg C temp rise. I have tried both ways many times and this seems to be the best way and with lower temps

When its time to remove it next time warm the processor up by using some program like Seti or Folding or similiar, then shut the PC down and remove the heatsink or waterblock when the processor is a bit tepid. ;)

Silversinksam said:

When its time to remove it next time warm the processor up by using some program like Seti or Folding or similiar, then shut the PC down and remove the heatsink or waterblock when the processor is a bit tepid. ;)

heh or just stick a heatgun/hair dryer and blow it at the ceramique :D

Well I dont know about all that business...But "twisting the night away"...Is an accident waiting to happen...Hair dryer...Loading up your box...What ever...Half the size of a BB is a very small amount...And if you look at the instructions at Artic Silver, you can see why they recommend such a small amount...Check out the pic's for the application of AS 5 on a P-4...If you have ever spent several hours with a credit card in your hand trying to straighten out pins on your processor, I am here to tell you it aint that much fun...Especially if it's some high dollar P-4 with those , teenie, tiny pins...Sometimes more is not better...Shucks I loved Ceramaniqe until Artic Silver 5 arrived on the scene...At first I did not like it because I was spreading it on my AMD stuff...Thick, gooey and yes I spread it across the entire die of a P-4...Not a smart move...Pulled the processor right out of the socket like that was the way it was supposed to be...Funny how reading the instructions make things so much easier...Instructions...Directions...Hummm...I still dont like the ring of that...But sometimes they actually are a good thing...;)

Look at #11 on this page...A picture is worth a thousand words

:eek:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Last edited:
Ive had this happen when removing my maze3 and ceramique. Ceramique is just so sticky combined with the normal suction of unlapped heatspreaders is extremely strong, especially with the very short pins of P4s. Maybe less ceramique is a good idea, but for some it seems like its still going to stick to the P4 a little too much.

My question is this...Why use Ceraminque??? Artic Silver 5 is leap's and bound's better than Ceramnique...I mean 3C is nothing to sneeze at when we are talking about the little ole change that it takes to get Artic Silver 5...I am sure that our mileage will vary...But it is way better than Ceraminque...IMHO of course!!!!

I re-applied ceramique using the smallest amount 1/2 grain of rice and got better temps than before. about 2C less. Yes it does pay to read the freakin' instructions. I thought that ceramique was better than AS5? If so then why?

AS5 may be better than Ceramique, I've never tried it, but with ceramique you can get 22g for less than 10 bucks, its a HUGE bargain. AS5 costs an arm and a leg by comparison.

Back