• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Take a chippin' keep on tickin'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

bah, i got my mcw5002A the other day and installed it, was working great.. got some new thermal goop today, so decided to try it out. only to discover that i cracked a huge :eek: @#$@ piece off of the core. but still working nicely! :D although it will only do it at stock now :eek: allwell, gotta say though H20 and stock speeds are nice temps. LOL

gotta give it to amd though, make a chip that can take one hell of a beating.!

The same thing happened to me installing a MCW5002. After remounting it a few times, I noticed a tiny chip missing from one of the corners. The xp2500 seems to be working fine since then. The waterblock is removed pending shipment of stronger mounting springs from swiftech; I was getting temps 5-6C higher than with a vantec aeroflow.

That would be because the working side of the chip is facing down. A chip on the topside will only mak it more difficult to cool (depending on how deep/wide it is). If it is too deep, you might do some damage to the actaul core...

I did the same thing installing a mcx462v... noticed a small chip on the edge of my 1700+ when I stuck my SLK800 back on...

Didn't hurt the chip one bit... still running fine even with a 1+GHz overclock. :D :D :D

Maybe this is a Swiftech thing, because an old 1700+ of mine got a tiny corner chip under my MCW 5000A block too, although I haven't chipped my 1800+ yet.

Crazy that is still ran stable at 2500 MHz afterwards... :eek:

Same thing happened to my 2500+. Ran it with the stock cooler for a few days until my Zalman got delivered, and that's when it happened. Chipped corner. Runs very well though.

(these stock HSF are so hard to put on, no wonder it got chipped - the Zalman OTOH was a breeze to install)

Last edited:
you guys are so lucky!!!! when i chipped my barton, it wouldnt do anything at all. i even tried disabling some of the cache and it still didnt work. made me feel really sad.....kinda like flushing your pet goldfish down the toilet. my barton was a first run, AQUCA0304RPAW. i paid like $180 for it lol.

Back