• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mother of all heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's a Behemoth, it looks like a gigantic thermoengine. I wonder how big is that copper insert is?

theres a copper insert?
center is probably 1/2"
i wanna order it just for kicks, too bad i'm broke now, lol
maybe useless for cooling, but fun to throw at people

u know, this could actually work out on a mobo..
drill holes for the capacitors, holes for the mounting holes..
if ur running a horizontal setup, this would actually be okey, and with a 6" fan @ 5v u could overclock well and have a quiet setup.
damn worth 20 bucks

stan03 said:
is it possible to break your mobo putting somehting that heavy on it?

Things can always break. I would not hang 5 pounds off a PCB, even if using 4 solid bolts.

In any case, the thing looks rather unimpressive to me, disregarding its size for a moment. It does look a lot like a ThermoEngine, but without a heat pipe and with a very crude fin structure. And let's not forget that the TE was already not as good as today's best sinks.
The gold plating is puzzling as well... such stuff is done for looks only. I wonder who uses such big sinks and cares about fancy-boy glitter...

This heatsink will not necessarily perform better then smaller ones. Its fins seem thick, and there are very few of them. Most smaller heatsinks have very fine, thin fins, put closer together.
If you take a 10lb chunk of copper and slap it on the processor, its not going to cool that good.

*mimics arnold*
"Ya, look at your puuuuny 120 millimeta fan. Such a gurlly fan. I say its time to" *claps* "pump it up!"

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things can always break. I would not hang 5 pounds off a PCB, even if using 4 solid bolts.

In any case, the thing looks rather unimpressive to me, disregarding its size for a moment. It does look a lot like a ThermoEngine, but without a heat pipe and with a very crude fin structure. And let's not forget that the TE was already not as good as today's best sinks.
The gold plating is puzzling as well... such stuff is done for looks only. I wonder who uses such big sinks and cares about fancy-boy glitter...

This heatsink will not necessarily perform better then smaller ones. Its fins seem thick, and there are very few of them. Most smaller heatsinks have very fine, thin fins, put closer together.
If you take a 10lb chunk of copper and slap it on the processor, its not going to cool that good.

I would have to agree.

• 5 pounds is a bit much to have haning off of a motherboard, even if there are bolts holding it on. I wouldnt even think of mounting that on the socket.
  • It is made of aluminum, and aluminum is a good disipater of heat, but it dosent transfer heat very well. So aluminum in most cases dosent do as good under a constant thermal load becuase it cant transfer heat in and out nearly as fast as copper. Sure, once you turn the computer off it will cool down much faster becuase aluminum disipates heat better without a constant heat load. That is partly due to the fact that the amount of heat aluminum holds at any time is far less than that of copper meaning that as soon as the heat source stops, it will start to get rid of the heat faster. But usually when we care about performance is when the computer is on so copper would be the better choice.
  • The fins on that are THICK. Not only is it aluminum, but its got thick fins. Sounds most likely that it probably wouldnt perform as good as something like an sk-7 or an slk-800.
  • THe design of the heatsink dosent look like it is totally optimized for getting rid of heat and maximizing the use of the fan to remove heat from the heatsink.
  • Im not sure about THIS one, but I think gold isnt a very good disipator/conductor of heat. In fact it almost insulates. The McLaren F1 uses a gold plate on the cabin side of the engine bay to keep all the heat from going into inside of the car where the passengers are. So I think thats just for show. Maybe this thing with an absolutely monsterous fan might perform better than a volcano 9, but I think an slk-900/947 would definatly win.
-Amd0Cer

WOW, saying that heatsink is a monster is an understatement!! It would be cool to look through the window in your case and see THAT! Probably one of those 170mm 200cfm fans would fit. The problem would be mounting that beast! Maybe after bolting it onto the MB, you could use some sort of wires to hang it from the top of the case :D

Korndog said:
theres a copper insert?
center is probably 1/2"
i wanna order it just for kicks, too bad i'm broke now, lol
maybe useless for cooling, but fun to throw at people

From the way it looks that center is the size of your CPU. The ungodly size of that thing (dare I call it a thing) is just for show, I think.

Jam a rod into the copper insert ant you got a mace.

:eek: Ooops did I say that. Hope it don't want to hurt me.

Sniper_83 said:

From the way it looks that center is the size of your CPU. The ungodly size of that thing (dare I call it a thing) is just for show, I think.

Jam a rod into the copper insert ant you got a mace.

:eek: Ooops did I say that. Hope it don't want to hurt me.

*throws heatsink at sniper* :p

i just like the fact that u can mount a large fan on to it.

FIZZ3 said:
Andonized, not plated, if it were plate it would be more the 20 bucks

stan03 said:
is it possible to break your mobo putting somehting that heavy on it?
Yeah, you can rip the socket off.

lol, if u were watercooling with it, yea it would slow down corrosion, not stop it.
anodizing makes it not as conductive, thats why most OEM heatsinks of the past were black anodized.
sometimes manfac. would get fancy and make blue ones :p

Back