• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2800+ and DDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GF

Hey guys I just got my system and I have newby questions (be kind)
FIC AU13 and Barton 2800+.
I need memory and I would like to OC later.
- If I get fast memory would it be a problem if I don't OC
- what is a good memory to OC with the Barton 2800+, PC3200? 400? 333?

What coolling do you guys recommand for the barton? I know this will depends on how far I am willing to go but 2.3 Ghz should be satifactory.
Thanks a lot

PC2700 RAM overclocks from default dual 166 FSB to 180s or 190s FSB on average.

PC3200 overclocks from 200 FSB on up.

- If I get fast memory would it be a problem if I don't OC
You would just run it at above mentioned default speeds then.
Here's more RAM info: http://www.c627627.com/RAM/

- what is a good memory to OC with the Barton 2800+, PC3200? 400? 333?
RAM rated above PC2700 is best suited for it because you may get a multiplier locked Barton in which case you'll be stuck with FSB overclock which is RAM dependent so something like PC3200 will take you higher.

-What coolling do you guys recommand for the barton?
Ratail Barton cooling better than it used to be and people have been using it although it's not recommended.
All copper Thermalright (not Thermaltake) heatsinks are the best ones and if you can get one for $20 that would be a great deal. Combine it with an adjustable fan like Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 so you can adjust the noise level if you choose.

Thanks C627627.
I guess the 2700 333, should be good. if I don't OC right away then I should be right at my barton speed 166 x 12.5 = 2075. If I decide to OC then I can increase the FSB to 180. My barton is locked at 12.5. I think.
Thanks again

i got my 2800 set to 180x12.5 its runing 2255MHz and its still on the box heatsink for a few more days till i get my 900 from newegg. that pc2700 should be good im still in the past with pc2100 but it runs great good luck with your system

Thanks Dead man.

For the mem I am going to go with PC3200 DDR400. By the way do you know if it is better 1x512 or 2x256?

For the FAN, I am also going to go with Thermalright but with a cheaper model, probably the SLK-700 with TMD 70mm 36CFM. I hope it is enough. I don't plan on pushing my barton too much I'll be happy around 180x12.5.

Thanks again.

While all copper Thermalright heatsinks are the best, Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 adjustable fan is the best.... or should I say imho.

2 x 256 MB RAM placed in slots 1 and 3 gets you dual channel so that's better if there's a choice.

that PC-3200 should make your system rock. im looking to upgrade to PC-3200 soon. like c627627 said its best to get the 2x256 insted of one stick of 512 with the two you can take advantage of the dual channel

that heatsink and fan should work fine, i just orderd mine today so it might be here wed

Id like to say welcome to the Forum, i seen on your profile its alomost your birthday so id also like to say Happy Birthday Have fun with your system there a blast to play with

Thanks C627627. I did some more research and I think I might go with the SLK-800 so I can get the adjustable from Thermatake.
I will aslo go with 2 sticks.

Thanks deadman for my birthday.
I'll update the forum when I get my OC done of maybe with more questions :)

Oh yeah, everything I read stresses the fact that this is the best thing you can do for your processor.

Thanks

I orderd my heatsink and fan Monday and i keep looking at fed-ex's website to track my order cant wait till it gets here. i get to hear the sound of a 747 taking off in my basement lol

i cant wait to see your res. might give me some ideas for my 2800 goodluck and if you have anymore ?'s feel free to ask if i cant answer i know there is someone here that is glad to help out

Back