• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dropped 5 degrees. Watch this out.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ross2280

Registered
Hi all. After puzzling myself for a couple of weeks with the temps of my system. mid 40's idle. mid 50's full load with seti, burn in sandra e.t.c, i noticed my case at the front had some grills which, stupid me, didnt really go all the way through. So basically my sucking fan at the front was sucking air from within the front of the case already.
Took the front cover of the case off, speeded up my fans, and there, idle 37-38, max load 49-50 @ 3.35Ghz.
And all because i didnt notice my stupid case...

Front intakes are really important i have just learnt!
At least i can no longer worry that my money for the AS5 and the aero 4 didnt go to waste... sigh

Although i might go for the SP-94 this xmas. Has anyone used one of these with a blower attached on top of it?

Almost every case that I've ever seen puts ( and brags about) fans in the front bottom corner, and then the stylists do their damnest to strangle them by obscuring access to air.

Silly, really.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, cause its an aluminium box and really light and i dont want to spend that much on a new case at the moment.
Whats the best way to cut a hole in the aluminium case u think (a bit irellevant question)

:)

check out the Xaser III modding thread in this Cooling section, a lot of it is also about cutting away the fan grills :)

I have no idea. We're talking about molds and liquid plastic here though. (i think). Unless you have ever worked with moulding and have all the equipment available, maybe you're better off trying to fiind a case that can be easily modded to your specs...?

AFIsoldier said:
how hard would it be to make a custom from to a case to replace the stock plastic one? i want to put an aluminum one on front wiht better flow..
If you have to ask then it would probably be pretty difficult indeed. I am a (part-time) machinist and I can think of about ten ways right off the bat to do this, given access to the proper equipment and sufficient material.
Working with the tools that have have at hand is the limiting factor.
Oh, and your imagination too, of course.

Back