• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron 1.6 A core or B core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

balbert908

Registered
Hi all,

I just picked up a Duron 1.6 for a spare machine I have. I haven't decided yet if I am going to overclock but I can't find out much info about these CPU's out there. Mostly I just read that they overclock well. How do I know if I got an A or B core? What is the best stepping? Thanks for your help.

I think (don't hold me to it - lol) that all the 1.6ghz Durons are "B" stepping. One quick way to tell is the vcore, 1.5v = B core.

The 1.6ghz Duron Applebreds are available in both "A" and "B" varieties. The "B"s are far better overclockers. I have 2 "A"s that top out at 2ghz and a "B" that will do 2.3+ghz. What is your stepping code?

seadog said:
The 1.6ghz Duron Applebreds are available in both "A" and "B" varieties. The "B"s are far better overclockers. I have 2 "A"s that top out at 2ghz and a "B" that will do 2.3+ghz. What is your stepping code?

Ummm...ummm...that's what I'm trying to figure out. Which set of numbers shall I look at? Thanks.

DHD1600DLV1C Z365325240361
MIXIB 0345TPMW

balbert908 said:

Ummm...ummm...that's what I'm trying to figure out. Which set of numbers shall I look at? Thanks.

DHD1600DLV1C Z365325240361
MIXIB 0345TPMW

Ahhh....haaaa....so I guess I should look to push this puppy. You think my PC2700 will be sufficient?

Yup, It's a "B" , week 45 and most probably multiplier locked at 12. MIXIB's seem to be pretty good overclockers, so you should be able to get 2.3 ghz or better with enough voltage and proper cooling - if your board and ram allow enough fsb.

Edit:
You think my PC2700 will be sufficient

Hard to tell. Maybe with loose timings. It will depend as much on your motherboard. The board and ram will both have to be capable of 192 fsb to get to 2.3.

Last edited:
Are the Durons unlocked?

Also, which would give better performance - a new 1800 Athlon (that's locked) or a 1600 Duron that can be overclocked better but has less L2?

(My 1800 (old style) died before I got the chance to oc it and it will be replaced with a newer version. In the mean time I bought a 1600 Duron to keep my system going - not knowing it's a good ocer. So, which should I use?)

seadog said:
Yup, It's a "B" , week 45 and most probably multiplier locked at 12. MIXIB's seem to be pretty good overclockers, so you should be able to get 2.3 ghz or better with enough voltage and proper cooling - if your board and ram allow enough fsb.

Edit:

Hard to tell. Maybe with loose timings. It will depend as much on your motherboard. The board and ram will both have to be capable of 192 fsb to get to 2.3.

It's going in an ASUS A7V8X. I was thinking to use my 512MB Apacer 2700 to start. Where do you think that'll get me? Can you recomend timings? Thanks or your help.

Are the Durons unlocked?
Recent Durons prior to week 40 were unlocked. After week 40, everything is multiplier locked. If you have a pre week 40 chip, it is very likely that you can enable the other 192k of L2, essentially making it a T-bred. Search the forums for "L2 mod" for instructions. The 1.8xp may OC just a bit better, but if you already have the Duron you might as well give it a try first to see how far it will go.

With locked chips, keep in mind that you must be able to get in the range of 190 - 200 fsb in order to explore their full potential.

It's going in an ASUS A7V8X. I was thinking to use my 512MB Apacer 2700 to start

Unfortunately, I don' t have any first-hand experience with your motherboard or Apacer ram. The board should be capable of 200fsb. The ram will probably be the weak link. The last pc2700 I used (corsair xms256) maxed out at 186 mhz 5-2-2-2 on an MSI KT3-Ultra2, so you might want to start a little looser. You may have to raise your Vdimm from default to run at that speed

You will probably also need in the range of 1.80 -1.90 Vcore with proper cooling to run that chip near 2.3ghz.

As always, "your mileage may vary".

Back