• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2600+ not overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RavenOsU

Registered
Hi i just bought a new mobo, ram and processor:

AMD 'barton' XP 2600+ 333FSB 512k L2 cache
Asus A7N8X v.2 mobo (support for 400 FSB Barton)
Northbridge :Nvidia NFORCE 2 SPP (Ultra 400) chipset
Southbridge: Nvidia NFORCE 2 MCP chipset
Corsair XMS pc 3200 DDR C2 , 256mb stick RAM

I am having trouble overclocking this thing!

Ok I go into my bios and advanced chipset...and Set my external clock frequency to 166(333DDR) and my multiplier to 11.5. All works fine, it shows up as an XP 2600+ and all. (This is the default speed)

If I put my FSB up even 1 Mhz, My computer wont even reboot after saving the settings (I get the monitor self test screen, and my monitor eventually goes into standby). So I have to manually power off then back on. I get a message saying computer wasnt shut down properly and processor speeds are running at safe mode (1.15ghz), and I need to go correct my cpu settings.

My Core voltage is set to 1.65.

Is there anything else that you need to know before you can help me?
Why can I not raise my FSB?
Do I need to set my core voltage a tad higher?
What in the heck am I doing wrong?
Any suggestions, or anything that I am missing?

Your help is appreciated greatly!

EDIT: oops this may be the wrong forum, feel free to move to AMD section, as usual.

Last edited:
Isn't the multi on that Barton locked at 11? Check the date code and see if it is post week 39. I have heard of Bartons getting flakey if the multi is changed to anything but 11 on the locked chips. Try using the 11 multi and bumping up the FSB and see what happens.

It cannot possibly be locked at 11..because it is set to 11.5 right now; 11.5x166=1909mhz which is what I am running at right now.

OK im going to check the # right now.

Edit: I may start a new thread on this...

Last edited:
it says 0341...week 41? Why can I still change it in BIOS? Any way around it? How are you guys still overclocking your locked 2500xps?

Last edited:
they rize the FSB ONLY, just as on Intel.. so your just going to get a little less overclock out of it, live with it.... the upperhand is you'll get better bandwidth to memory and everything else.

B!

If you read my original message...I cannot even raise my FSB 1mhz without it not posting/booting up/re-booting after saving changes in bios. So the multiplier is locked at 11.5? will I need to raise Core voltage a notch to get the fsb up even 1mhz?

I know I didnt hear someone was going to RMA a chip cuz it doesnt overclock well . I dont think any members here at overclockers would do such a thing . I dont understand why people ( in general ) dont do their research before buying a processor , it is one of the most key ingredient to a decent system .
Here is a good place to look and see waht people have done with their proc. Overclockers.com CPU database
and This
or even Here

This is not normal. Check again all your bios settings. Pay especially good attention to the memory timings, something may be gone awry there. Try to raise the memory voltage as well (can't hurt). After you reboot, can you still change things normally in the bios? Anything unusual there? Etc.

Your problem with getting no POST when you raise the FSB has absolutely nothing to do with a locked multiplier - even if it is locked, this shouldn't happen.

What type of cooling do you have and what are your temps idle/load at STOCK voltage and stock speed, knowing this will let us help you a bit more. Yes you will have to raise your voltage to go up although it surprises me that you can't even go up 1mhz in fsb.

Hi hef. Cooling is a Thermaltake Volcano 12 , air, obviously. My idle temp is around 30C and load is max @ 40 from what I have observed. Base voltage is 1.65v My HS/F

Good news though, I have just been able to raise the FSB 2 mhz. I am convinced my multiplier is locked at 11.5. So 11.5x168=1932; which is what my Cpu-Z program is reporting to me. I have ran a few benchmarks and all has gone well so far. Shall I push it a little further, if possible?

Last edited:
Sounds like you have ALOT of HEADROOM there, the newer Bartons like your are hitting Phenomenal speeds.

My Barton 2500 rig is currently at 2472 !!! 2.0V at 50C load!!

I have a big 120mm 125cfm fan blowing over a Swiftech 462V which is abit better than what you have.

Push your voltage to 1.8 to 1.825 and you should have NO problem hitting 200X11.5 for 2300mhz. Just watch your temps, over 52-54C on air will NOT be good for you.

Also remember that as you approach 200FSB that you will most likely have to raise the voltage of your RAM from stock of 2.5 to perhaps 2.7 to keep it stable, your voltage for the motherboard MIGHT also have to be raised "vdd" from the stock of 1.6 or 1.7 to 1.8V

OK lets examine this- you cannot raise the FSB by even 1 FSB - that leads me to believe that something in your bios is preventing you from overclocking (our cpu is fine as is your system) - is there a function in this bios that prevents such a thing? Have you checked all the parameters in your bios? Example would be spread spectrum which should be disabled.

Last edited:
Sorry, but as you can see i am new and I did not even know till after I had submitted my thread, that there were AMD and Intel specific forums. I tried to delete and repost, but for some reason it would not let me. Wait, why am I apoligizing...

Emericana, of all the replies, yours has been the least beneficial to me. Cmon, atleast take the time to stay on topic when you reply. :)

Oc Detective: I thank you for your concern. My thanks also goes out to everyone who took the time to help me out. Anyone reading this thread for the first time can consider it closed, as my problem has been resolved. Thanks once again.

Good Day,
OsU

Back