• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with heatsink choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
im replacing the heatsink and fan on my current rig due to very high temperatures (see sig) but im unsure what heatsink to buy. Iv narrowed it down to 3 choices:
the Thermalright SP97 (if i can find somewhere in the UK that sells it - any ideas?)
the Thermalright SLK947U
or the Aerocool Deep Impact DP-102 LINK

which of these would you guys recomend? Id be putting one 92mm Vantec tornado fan on either of the Thermalrights or two 80mm Tornados on the Deep Inpact....
(unless its possible to put a 120mm fan on the thermalrights?.... anyone know/be able to show me how?)

however i move my pc regularly (being at university) and im slightly worried about how much strain these will put on my mobo? especially the deep inpact...weighing 580g (without fans) and sticking out 100mm from the mobo - how much torque is that gonna produce??? even if it is bolted on. would it easily break my mobo? how do the thermalrights bear up? will they be ok to move? how much strain do they put on?

The SP-97 is still very new over here in the US. So you migth not be able to find it overseas for a while longer. The only store that I know of over here that has the SP-97 is The Heatsink Factory . I'm not sure if they ship overseas.

I don't know how well the Deep Impact HSF cools. We are not able to get that over here from what I have seen. It looks like one sweet HSF though ;)

Last Sunday I installed my SLK-947U on my new 2500+ Barton and think it is amazing. Yesterday my idle temps were between 32 - 34c. Today they are between 22 - 24c. I am sparingly using AS5 because I lapped the HSF to 2000 grit. I am getting the temps from MBM5 so they are about 2 - 3c off. Hope this helps :)

Edit:

I am running the Barton at stock speeds

thanks, so you think the Thermalright may be the best bet? im still concerned about the weight of them for mobility

I would have to say the 947U would probably be your best bet. The way it attaches to the mobo its not going to move at all. One of the wings on the back plate will slightly cover the top middle mounting hole on the mobo. To remedy this you can file down the wing a bit to get access to the hole. Make sure you have the 4 mounting holes around your cpu socket or this HSF won't work.

The Deep Impact on the other hand uses mounting clips. This thing is a monster and I wouldn't move the PC that much with it attached. I am just specutating on this though but that could be one of the reasons we don't see it in the US. It would definatly put too much strain on the mobo and CPU if you moved the case a lot.

Either way these are all massive HSF's. You could go with something smaller but you won't get the same performance. In the end it's up to you to decide.

ok cool...the thermalright it is.
does anyone know, as previously asked, if its possible to put a 120mm fan on the slk947u with a bit of modification?

i think you can bend the clips, but usually your temps will actually be higher because of the larger deadspot.

The 120mm fan will not have enough air pressure to disapate the heat from the HS properly.The tests on the SP-94 were done using a 80mm Delta at 3800 rpm.Panaflo U1A 92mm has good air pressure/CFM ratio.Papst and Sanyo-Denki are some other excellent options.Alot of ppl here run a Thermal Take Smart Fan II 80mm on there SP-94's the older bro of the SP-97. I have searched the UK for the SP-97 for a guy here at the forum yesterday,they haven't hit the shore yet.There are some places that ship to the UK,but Im not familiar with them.If you buy over here get the SP-97. I like you would worry about the wieght of the Deep Impact/CLIPS? On a rig with a heavy HS,I would lay it on its back,with the mobo to the bottom.THE FANMAN:cool:
**<^>The SP-97 is a little heavier but lower profile!<^>**

www.thermalright.com
Feature:

All copper design for maximum performance
Soldered fins to base to ensure effective contact
92mm stock fan for more cooling capability
Screws through motherboard mounting for LAN party

Technical Spec.:

Dimension:

L99 x W59 x H50 (mm) Top, without fan
L75 x W55 x H50 (mm) Bottom, without fan

Weight:

585g (bare sink only)

Stock Fan

Maker: DELTA
Model: FFB0912EHE
Size: 92 x 92 x 38 (mm)
Bearing: Dual Ball Bearing System
Voltage: 12V
Speed: 4800 rpm
Air Flow: 110.18 CFM
Noise Level: 55 dBA

Last edited:
I run a differnt version of the DeepImpact. I forget which one it is but it has the central cooling tower and the thin fin design like the one you linked. The DeepImpact is a very good cooler and keeps my Barton 2500 OC'd to 2.2Ghz @ about 46-48c under full load. I usually run it with a TMD fan to cut down the dead zone from the fan...all in all a very good cooler. I have no experience with the SLK's but they seem popular.

i also have to say the SP-97, i wouldnt think that the amount of weight on the board would damage it, i'd be more worried about it losing a good seal w/ the core. (of course, i've yet to actually install one, so i dont know exactly how firmly these are attatched)

if they bolt on (which they do) im hoping they will be VERY firmly in place (ie not moving!!)

I absolutely DO NOT advise anyone to do this but it will give you an idea at how sturdy the bolt-on design is. It is so secure you could grab the HSF and shake the mobo until it starts to bend and crack. If you were to do this you would notice the crack point is below the bottom bolts on the mobo. Now if you were to try this with a clip-on HSF the socket would rip off the mobo before it starts to bend.

apparently the deep inpact is prone to pulling itself of the mobo under its own weight....just spoke on msn to a friend whos just bought one and put two 80mm fans on it..hes gonna have to strap it to the roof
So thats me decided - thermalright

ok, sorry to revive an oldish thread...but iv just ordered an slk947 as the 900u i ordered apparently doesnt fit my board without severe bending of vital stuff...is the 947 actually compatible with my mobo???? check my sig for details. i just wana drop the sucker in place and screw it on

It would appear your mobo is on the compatable list.Why not the SP-97? THE FANMAN:cool:
**<^> ASUS MOBO COMPATABILE MOBO's <^>**
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe
A7N8X rev 1.04
A7V133
A7V266-E
A7V333
A7V600
P4P800
P4P800 Deluxe
P4C800 Deluxe
P4C800-E Deluxe
P4G800-V
P4G8X Deluxe
P4BGL-MX/533
P4PE-X
P4PE
P4B533-E
P4B533
P4T533-C
P4S533-E
P4S533-MX
P4S8X-X SIS648

its all about availability FanMan...they aint in the uk yet...see the end of your "SP97 now availabe thread" - it was gonna cost a fortune once id got a fan too.....

I copy that! An active HS is one with a fan on it. A passive HS does
NOT have a fan.If it doesn't have a fan mounted on it a fan can be directed to blow on it or mount a fan on it.Depends exactly what your mobo looks like.I found several types of your mobo.
Get me a link to a pic of your mobo,please.You should be able to get enough cooling from your new HSF overflow if you run a 92mm fan on it. THE FANMAN:cool:

ok...heres a pick of exactly what my mobo looks like (the only difference in appearance being that ram slots 2&3 are blue)
Mobo Pick Link
it looks like it has a passive northbridge cooler...could i mount a decent fan on this? or take it off and put on a better one? any suggestions?

Back