• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do the durons perform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thats a good idea however, i have a Biostar mobo thats like 8 months old and its not work much to me. i cant sell it for **** so i thought id give it to my mom with a keep *** duron cpu. i sure the duron would be faster then her P2 500mhz computer now.

I just set up a Duron 1.6 machine for my Niece and it runs great. Perfect for surfing the web, doing MS Office stuff, listening to music and whatnot. Haven't tried it out for gaming or anything, but as you seem to be talking about it for your mother chances are that there won't be alot of Battlefield 1942 in her future (although you never know hehe). I got this duron as part of the $50 Frys combo special that they run like every few weeks and came with a mainboard too hehe. Anyhow, good luck!

Yeah a newer Duron will be faster than a P2, and unless your mom is going to be doing some processor-intensive tasks a Duron should be fine. However, it is only a few more dollars to get an Athlon XP (Tbird cores are pretty inexpensive) that will preform better than a Duron, so just buy according to what you will be doing with it.

Yea i agree it was not a fair test, what so ever. Even the fact that there was even a comparison between a Athlon and Celeron is an obvious demonstration, as far as for the Intel 1.8 p4 that was thrown in, yea that was just to laugh at how expensive Pentiums are. However I dont disagree with what they did. I work in computer retail at a major store, and constantly I have customers arguing with me over which computer is fast, the 2.6 celeron or the 2500+ AMD over there. (it looks even worst because thats just their PR rating and next to the PR rating is their core speed) Intel gave off an impression that megahertz count and thats it.(thats why the best computer in our store (best buy) has only a Nvidia 5200 video card, for over $2000?!) We all know thats not true, but thats how the passive customers see it. To explain all of the hop lala to a customer in the time that he wants to get in and out, most of the time, is not possible. So think of this as a punch back from AMD, who offer almost the same preformance as a Pentium 4 (not a celeron) for a much much lower price.

P.S. And now offers the best high end CPU that is out there, and still cheaper then Intel.

Edit*the reason I gave you that link was that you can get a sense of how fast Durons are. So as we can see from the test, even though it was unfair, it still justifies your purpose for buying a duron over a 1.8 p4 or a 2.6 celeron. And the 1.8 P4 isnt even $100, its $120.

the biostar mobo i have says it supports duron 1.3. do you think that only mean 1.3 ghz cpus. it can use all 266FSB athlons but what about that duron? do u think it will take all 200 and 266 durons???

i didnt even know that there was a larger size then the 1.3ghz duron. the only ones that ive seen are the 1.3's an lower.

some oc pretty well...i was running 200x10 but now it's unstable for whatever reason...i'll kepp messing with it. got it for $h^ts and giggles, too...along w/ this $50 EPoX RDA+.

AL Romero said:
i didnt even know that there was a larger size then the 1.3ghz duron. the only ones that ive seen are the 1.3's an lower.

Yeah, the applebred durons (1.4GHz and 1.6GHz w/266MHz FSB) are fairly new. Thay are (at keast when they first came out) thoroughbreds with 64k L2 cache. I've heard now that someare bartons with 64K L2 cache, but I haven't confirmed that. In either case, the die still contains te amount of L2 it normally would, but some of it is disables. These ones are generally good overclockers. If you get one of the older morgan durons, the best steppings will do 1.4 to 1.5 GHz

Back