• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sync or async

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathLord

- What is better a barton with fsb180 runing syncronosly with the memory or a memory at 180MHz and the cpu's fsb runing at ~200MHz?
- what's the big advantage of syncronous cpu and memory?

Atleast nforce2 motherboards perform better with memory running in sync. I think there's some overhead that comes from runnign async.

Nforce2-based motherboards are horribly inefficent running async. If the Nforce2 chipset was more efficent at utilizing dual-channel bandwidth and better at running async, then async would be better. I think, however, that Nvidia still has design issues, too bad we won't see another iteration of the Nforce chipset for Socket A with another re-work of the memory controller...

I haven't seen comparisons of running sync vs. async for VIA chipsets. Currently I run a locked Thorton on a KT600 at 174 MHz FSB, with the memory at 334 MHz DDR; I have the option of running the memory instead at (174+33)x2=414 MHz, which I know it does just fine. Maybe I'll do a little test to see what the overhead is, if any.

Thanks for the good info about this. I had posted that I wanted run my Barton 25 @ 217*10.5/11 to run sync with 3500 RAM. I will use the NF7-S, so it's relevant. Thanks again.

Hey Deeppow, I hope you don't think your Avitar is from Pajarito. If it were, it would be mud, not powder!!

apenland01 said:
Hey Deeppow, I hope you don't think your Avitar is from Pajarito. If it were, it would be mud, not powder!!

No, it is from heli skiing in Canada. So lite you had to time your breathing after your turns so you didn't suck the snow into your lungs. :D

Back