• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[email protected] /high vcore on air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woody29

Ho Ho Ho....

tried some high vcore the other day got my barty to bootup and running at 2.4ghz with 1.93vcore 12x200...but error with prime instantly. temps was around 47 idle.

I think it will be stable with more vcore to it but how safe is it, given that i'm only running on air, as in my sig.
Always been scared off high voltage to cpu.

Or is this when to go for water :)

also which would be better to have

2.4 @ 200fsb
2.3 @ 230fsb

yep...thats why i was thinking about getting water, maybe i could get this cpu to be stable.
that leads me to think to get water setup £150+ = 100mhz more

There is a good chance that 230 fsb with 2.3Ghz is faster than 200fsb with 2.4Ghz, as long as the timings are the same for the both, but if you have to loosen the timings then there won't be a great difference between the two. What are your timings for both fsbs?

Glaze132...

for 200fsb 2.4ghz 6,2,2,2 (bare in mind unstable)
230fsb 2.3ghz 11,3,3,2.5
for unknown reasons 10.5x230 it will not boot with any vcore i give it.

You have almost the same setup as me and your Barton 2500 should run at the same settings as mine listed below in my signature.

Loosen up your ram timings to 11,2,2,2 or 11,2,3,2 if your ram is cas 2.0, or 11,2,2,2.5 or 11,2,3,2.5 if your ram is cas 2.5. If you have Corsair ram increase your Vdimm to minimum 2.8 and raise your chipset voltage to 1.7.

Good luck!!! :)

RoyBoy..

thats an excellent overclock you have there, and at 1.85vcore. I couldn't get mine to even boot below 1.9vcore @ 2.4ghz let alone getting it prime stable.

I had the same problem until I boosted my chipset voltage to 1.7. That allowed me to back down my Vcore. You will have to go through several experimental settings until you find the sweet spot. It took me days of trying different settings and checking with Prime95 and benchmarks.

In the end it ran best for me with Corsair memory, a good Enermax PSU, and a very good Aspire X-Dreamer Case with 6x80mm fans. High quality accessories and good cooling made the difference. I only had to try 3 Barton chips to get where I am today.

The only thing left that I haven't played with is liquid or vapour cooling, and right now my banker is looking at me with raised eyebrows!! He He!! ;)

I think santa is bringing a water setup to me this xmas :) It will give me something to do over the holidays.

Xstatic said:
You should be able to do 2.4 fine with water. Gl and hope it works out for you.

What water system you getting?

Hope so, i'm thinking to get Asetek waterchill cpu cooling kit KT03-L20. what's your thoughts....?

whats your temps loaded, you might be on the boarder
most people say that if using 1.9v stay below 50oc, using 2v below 45oc, i dont think temperature improves o/c much unless running really cool temps, more the fact that you can sleep knowing you processor is going to last,

the only reason i went h2o is my processor only lasted 2 moths at 56oc 1.8v, think i might have had a dud processor though, got a new one though under warrenty heehe

Last edited:
Woody29 said:

Hope so, i'm thinking to get Asetek waterchill cpu cooling kit KT03-L20. what's your thoughts....?

I would avoid that water setup, i had a Waterchill and got air pockets all the time, I had the NB cooler on 2 days i had to tak it off. I got so tired of turning the machine on its side to release trapped air! :mad:

thanks johnny bravo, i will keep away from them.

Kayl...my temps are idle 43 load 49 bios10.
given up running at 2.4 not stable enough without having to give it more vcore, which made temps over 50c

current fsb and multi is 10x231 1.85v 2.317ghz at the temps above.

Last edited:
I had similar problem with you...

my cpu 2500 barton at 11.5 x 210 and it keeps going back to desktop when i'm playing nfs underground.... other than that it worked flawlessly.

then i decided to upgrade my hsf and now i'm running smoothly and perfectly stable with prime..

11.5 x 210 so slight upgrade with hsf and as5 helped alot... and saves you your cash from watercooling.

i would go to a site like criticool to order your blocks and pump... u will have much better temps and might even save you some cash.... then go to pep boys or auto zone and get a heater core ( most can be had for under $30... i paid $26 for mine and it will fit 2 x 120mm fans great... and go to home depot to get some hose... i think my 1/2 id was about $7 ( get the thick wall, it will not kink as easy )

EmAzY said:
I had similar problem with you...

my cpu 2500 barton at 11.5 x 210 and it keeps going back to desktop when i'm playing nfs underground.... other than that it worked flawlessly.

then i decided to upgrade my hsf and now i'm running smoothly and perfectly stable with prime..

11.5 x 210 so slight upgrade with hsf and as5 helped alot... and saves you your cash from watercooling.

I'm already using slk900u with a 120mm 100cfm fan, as3, so i'm not going to get much better on air cooling.
what voltage do you have on your cpu at that speed, and have you prime tested it for stability...?

Hey woody have you tried a 11.5 multiplier, for me seem to need less vcore
I current use 11.5x212 (2.45Ghz) vcore 1.925v benchmarked as xp3400
Its like 35-400 oc days, its 30oc in my room at the moment 11pm at night. So im forced to crank down the volts

Back