• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tawcan

Registered
I installed my new NF7-S and 2500+ last night and I've started to overclock as well...

Components:
Abit NF7-S rev 2
2500+ AXDA Y AGXEA 0330
Corsair PC3200 2x 256MB XMS ver1.1
WD 80G HD special edition
AX7 + H1A
Antec 430W PS

Northbridge has been taken down and AS was applied. I also have a HS + 40 mm fan installed on the southbridge.

Right now ram timing is at 11-2-2-2

BIOS Cachable is disabled.
Video cachable is disabled.
AGP 128MB
FSB Sptread Spectrum is disabled.
AGP spectrum is disabled.
CPU Thermal is disabled.
Enhance PCI: disabled.
CPU Disconnect: enabled.
AGP data transfer rate: auto
AGP fast write; enabled.

3.13 Unified drivers, Windows XP.

I am able to hit 11*200 no problem with 7-2-2-2 timing. I tried 11*210 with the same timing and had no problem. I then tried 11*215 and windows locked up (XP). I then tried 11.5*210 and it locked up. I then played around with the timing (8-3-3-2) and tried 11.5*205 (locked up), 11.5*200 (lock up...I think). Right now I'm running 11*213 and no problem yet.

Knowing that my ram is rev 1.1 and most ppl with this ran to ~220 FSB, what should I do to maximize my overclock? I want highest MHz as possible but also good memory bandwidth.

Thanx for the helps!

Have you tried increasing CPU voltage a wee bit maybe?

Oops.... I didn't list the voltages. Vcore was at 1.825 (right now 1.8), Vddr at 2.8, chipset at 1.7, AGP at 1.5.

Just tried playing around...

10.5*220 at 11-3-3-2.5 1.825 the computer wasn't even booting up properly. :(

Tried 13*190. Stuck when loading windows (gave me a black screen).

The guy I bought the cpu off from got it up to 10.5*240 at 1.9V I believe (different ram). I don't want to push the Vcore too high since it's already at the mid 40's at full load and I'll be crunching f@h full time.

Running at 11*211 11-2-2-2, 1.8V, 2.8V, 1.6V, 1.5V right now. Any helps would be appreciated. :)

Lower the multiplier and find out the RAM FSB limitations first.

It may be your RAM limitations so if you can do higher FSB with low multipliers, it's not the ram, it's chip limitations with your current cooling. Good luck man.

So try like multiplier at 10 and see how high I can get the ram up to then? :)

Edit: Tried 10*220 @ 1.85V. Got black screen during loading of Windows.

I guess my ram is the limiting factor. :(

Last edited:
You may even go lower than ten. The trick is to keep the cpu at it's rated speed by continually lowering the multi and raising the fsb appropiatley. This way, you eliminate the need for high Vcore while finding your highest fsb that your ram can take. This also eliminates the cpu from the lock-up problem by running it at it's rated speed.

<edit>Once you find the fsb max, you then start turning up the multi until you have instabiliy issues, then add Vcore gradually, eventually, you find your highest overclock at the highest Vcore you want to use. :)

Tried 9.5*220 @ 1.8V and didn't seem to have any problems. Tried 9.5*240 (yeah I know huge jump) and got blue screen at the start of XP. (11-3-3-2.5).

I'm aiming for high MHz not necessarily super high FSB b/c f@h likes high MHz better. :)

That's actually not too bad. Lower your multiplier more (like 8 or so) and keeping upping your FSB in 5mhz increments until you reach your RAM's limit. THEN start bringing the multiplier up.

Back