• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mod An SLK947U

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
ok, having modded my xaser3 case (dues to inspiration from the very popular thread) im turning my attention to the slk947 heatsink iv jut ordered (thanks to Sharkman for his advice).
It takes a 92mm stock fan, but i was wondering if anyone knows a way to mod it to take a 120mm fan? id like to put a delta 120mm fan on it and shift 190cfm (rather than the 119CFM of the vantec tornado 92mm which is my other alternative).
Anyone have any ideas, links or examples of how i could do this? Someone must have done it by now? or will i be the first?

Why would you want a fan that big? The dead zone would be enormous. Usualy an 80mm fan is the most efficient. If you saw the pic of the deadzone that a 92mm tornado has on the 900, you would definantly want nothing bigger than an 80. It was only hitting maybe 50% of the sink.

so bigger isnt better on fans then? so my 92mm delta idea isnt very sensible...i thought the more CFM the better the cooling... anyway to compensate for dead spots?

are they available to buy or would i have to make one out of cardboard (or maybe some sheet steel)

The amount of air CFM, is important.But the quality of the air is important also.If you have a warm case temp this will reflect in your temps.My rig usually runs at 34° C Folding.Ambient 23° C.
I'm working on a mid-case fan panel mod and expect a small drop in temps.I run a Panaflo U1A 92mm HSF @ 2800 rpm the max rpm is 3450. The CFM is 68.80 @ 3450 rpm/ 43 dBA..THE FANMAN:cool:

hmm makeing one is simple and cheap, but asthetics are based on skill..there was a post on a duct mod a feller did on here that shows you how he did it...I also think thermaltake makes a duct mod for fans...but again i think that was for an 80MM...I know there are adapters to convert from 80 to 120...maybe this would work....I remember and article on here about a mod where using the stock retaining clips from that heatsink and rotating the heatsink so the corners of the fan hangs off the flat edges of the heatsink....but the dead spot is whats going to hurt you here....might be able to craft something like the 90 degree duct modd that thermaltake has

i have some copper piping (94mm diameter) with thick lips at the ends that could be heated and curved to 90degs from the heatsink...and the lips could be drilled to allow mounting....
and all that copper would extend the heatsink surface area nicely....maybe with a fan at each end....
what do you think? iv got all xmas and it would make an excellent mod...votes please...

only think I would worry about there would be the weight of the whole think...even thought that heatsink mounts thru the pcb with bolts i would consider useing somthing for support..like maybe a strap around the pipe to the top of the case somewhere....PVC might be a better idea or maybe something along the lines of a clothers dryer hose (the exhaust)...anyways..GO FOR IT! nothing like doing something getting frustrated solving the problem and watch it not work worth a damn!! HA nah really try it see what happens man..thats the fun of it!

the tubings very light..the whole length (about 20cm) only weighs about 30grams... and i was going to feed it round and out of a rear fan exhaust on the back of my xaser - al-la fanman style...he has some excellent mods

would a fan on both ends of the duct aid cooling by creating extra air pressure?

Vrykyl,Sounds like you've seem my thread.To run the mod as you say ,you would have to flip your fan over.The air needs to hit the HS ,and not be drawn off.If you have a Xaser III as you say, I'll be
putting the pieces together on my current mod.I have already dropped my full load temps by1° C..Only prob is getting pics,,no digicam.But its alway good to experiment.Makes you use your noodle. THE FANMAN:cool:

thanks to your thread iv already cut a 120mm fan mount in the base of my xaser (between the end of the pci cards and the HDD rack) with a delta 120mm fan+dust grill and a homemade duct (made not from cutting the 120mm floor panel section out and inserting a duct as youd expect, but by cutting lines that are 145mm in diameter, heating around them and then bending them upwards and welding closed so that the floor panel forms a slightly angled moulded duct) to blow cold air at the heatsink and mobo.

Very nice.I dont really think some of these duct mods do much good,unless done properly.What we need is more intake air on these Xaser cases.And you've accomplished that.At least the thread is doing some good at helping others fine tune there air cooling. THE FANMAN:cool:

Back