• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd 1.6???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turok

Registered
hey guys, i got an abit kt7a mobo, and i've been using a duron 750 (spitfire) for some time now...can i use one of the newfangled 1.6 ghz durons???? i know their bus is like 266, but is that just 133x2??? my duron's running at 8x multiplier and 105 bus, but in sandra, it says the front side bus speed is 2x105mhz (210 mhz data rate) and my mobo has settings for 133...does that mean i can use those 266fsb durons??? I'd use an athlon xp but i can't because abit's website says only mobo's with bios revision 1.3 can use them...and sandra gives me version 1.0 ~ 1.2. anything would help me out so thanx for readin' such a long and confusing question.

The KT7A uses the KT133A chipset which supports 133FSB CPUs. A 1.6GHz Duron should work nicely.

cool...i'd use the 12 multiplier with the 133 bus right??? also i was reading the reviews from newegg.com and they keep mentioning something about enabling 256k of L2 cache....would this be hard/impossible to do with my board?????

turok said:
cool...i'd use the 12 multiplier with the 133 bus right??? also i was reading the reviews from newegg.com and they keep mentioning something about enabling 256k of L2 cache....would this be hard/impossible to do with my board?????

Re-enabling cache depends on the CPU itself, not the board. Im not sure exactly how its done but I beleive you modify the CPU bridges to enable the cache.

Yes that's the thing you're looking for. One thing to note tho, it might not work because of two reasons:
1. The disabled cache on the CPU might actually be faulty (Unlikely), what's more likely is:
2. If the CPU is new week 39 or up it might be locked, and if its locked then even with the L2 bridge mod the rest of the cache will not get unlocked.
If you get an unlocked chip, you will be able to overclock this thing to awesome speeds with the right settings and some reading. Make sure you have a 350w PSU, a brand name is recommened, a great PSU for the price is a 350W forton PSU, should fill any overclocking need of such a CPU

Back