• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What temp for NB is too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firenurse4

Registered
At what temp. is it considered too high for the North Bridge? Also, at idel I have had NB temps 2 to 3 degrees higher than the CPU. Any ideas on that or am I just being a worry wart.

Thanks

when your nb melts.... JK! if its too hot to touch, put some arctic silver on that puppy and slam a big chunk of metal on it.

That was the same question I've been pondering for a while. The northbridge gets pretty hot on one of my boards and just has a small northbridge heatsink. I was thinking of throwing a Zalman on there with some AS3 but I don't know if it would cool well as I'm on water and there is not as much airflow as a computer with fans. What do you think?

heres my guidlines of knowing its too hot

1.burns your finger when you touch it
2.limits your o/c
3.machine becomes unstable

pretty much......dont worry about it unless its causing problems. If its running at 200ºF (just an example) w/o any errors or problems theres no point in worrying. Now on the other hand if its causing problems then you might want to "worry".

Ok if my computer is on fire and it's still running like a charm I won't worry about it. :D

FireNurse,How do you like your FIC mobo?I have the Intel version.
How high does the FSB go in the bios?What is on your NB now.Mine came with the fan you see in my Avatar.There's a aluminum HS under the fan!Mine never gets hot.Have you had probs or just trying to be on the safe side?Can we get a link to your mobo? THE FANMAN:cool:

- Cons
No active cooling on the Northbridge

COMPARE LINK

NOTE: A active HS has a fan on it!
A passive HS has NO fan on it!

Last edited:
does my mobo have a built in northbridge cooler on it by default? see sig....it lookds like it does...if not il buy one..how would i mount it?

archilochus said:
FireNurse,How do you like your FIC mobo?I have the Intel version.
How high does the FSB go in the bios?What is on your NB now.Mine came with the fan you see in my Avatar.There's a aluminum HS under the fan!Mine never gets hot.Have you had probs or just trying to be on the safe side?Can we get a link to your mobo? THE FANMAN:cool:

- Cons
No active cooling on the Northbridge

COMPARE LINK

NOTE: A active HS has a fan on it!
A passive HS has NO fan on it!

I like the board! The comparison link you gave shows the same board. The FSB in the bios can go up to 255 and there is an upgrade for the bios to support the AMD Barton chips. The only thing in the review that was not accurate was about the locks for the PCI and AGP bus.

FIC AN19E Motherboard Review - Howard Ha, Ryan Li
We gave the KT4 Ultra our Overclocker's Choice award, and I'm tempted to do the same here - but I won't. This board actually has as much potential to overclock as the KT400 Dragon Ultra, and we personally had more success getting higher performance out of our RAM and our CPU using the AN19E then the Dragon Ultra, but it sorely needs a 1/6 PCI divider to make it a real champion. Without the 1/6 divider, our settings could not possibly be 100% stable. So hats off to FIC for allowing such a wealth of options, and for their willingness to include a multiplier lock override.

PCI divider doesn't go beyond 1/5: FSB over 133 overclocks your AGP and PCI busses

When I had the FSB set to 166, the APG anc PCI busses were at default values so there must be a 1/6 lock in there. Never tried it any higher than 166 since it was getting hot with the stock cooler. I have a new HSF on it and am waiting for the AS5 to set up before going any higher.

The NB has the little alluminum HS on it but I was just was just curios about the temp and what would be too high.

When I had the FSB set to 166, the APG anc PCI busses were at default values so there must be a 1/6 lock in there.

This board doesn't have the 1/6 divider-neither does the board in my sig-which is the other board in that review, btw. The epox has active cooling on the NB but is otherwise the same board.

NB cooler is pretty wussy looking on the FIC; but I'm running an AN19E w/ a 2200B at 174x12~2098. NB doesn't get too hot to touch. I think that's more of an issue for the Nforce2 boards anyway.

I have a new HSF on it and am waiting for the AS5 to set up before going any higher.

Thought about putting a fan from an old stock AMD on my NB but it didn't seem to be much of an issue. Would be interested in how high high you can get the bus on that thing. I've got Crucial pc2700 in both my rigs (one in sig is getting 3200 in a day or so). I figure that's my limiting factor. I don't think your NB will hold you back but the active cooling can't hurt.

Is there a header on the mobo to support a fan for the NB HS?
If it gets hot to the touch.Your the fire person,how hot is hot? :D
As you raise your Vdimm voltage the temp of the NB increases as
I understand it. I would just keep it in mind and check it with a remote thermal senser as I increase my OC. I think its temp should be as important as the CPU temp,as this NB is the memory control hub..THE FANMAN:cool:

ME said:
When I had the FSB set to 166, the APG anc PCI busses were at default values so there must be a 1/6 lock in there. Never tried it any higher than 166 since it was getting hot with the stock cooler. I have a new HSF on it and am waiting for the AS5 to set up before going any higher.

Sorry but I maust have confused you all. The HSF I was talking about above was the CPU HSF (ThemalTake Silent Boost). The north bridge just has the stock heat sink which does look a little lame.

In the bios when the FSB is set to 100, 133 or 166 MHz, the speeds for the APG and PCI busses read at 33 and 66 so bumping a 266 FSB processor to 333 speeds does not cause instablity like the article said. The bios version I am using is VMA 45 which was released in March 03.

Originally posted by archilochus
Your the fire person,how hot is hot? :D

Well our fire trailer is allowed to hit 500 degrees F at the 5 foot level which would fail most protective masks, so I guess that is hot! :D

Right now at idel the NB is at 40 C and at load I have had it at 42 or 43 with the CPU runing at 49 to 51 C. For now I'll just keep an eye on it.

Back