• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kingston hyperX 3000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

waver123

Hi,
Was window-shopping @ local frys and see they've the kingston hyperX 3000 256mb for $49. Picked up 2 sticks hoping they're BH5, the label says

KHX3000/256
9905200-017.A00
1122406 - 2.5V

How do I tell they're BH5 or BH6? I tried to remove the heat spreader but it's stuck to the chips with some sticky heatsink compound, can I just pull it off or should I put it in the refrigerator and cool it to pull it off like cpu?

Sounds like BH5 however I'm not sure. The reason why I say they may be BH5 is due to the voltage; BH5 was spec'ed for 2.5 whereas CH5 was spec'ed for 2.6. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

~THT

Wow, thats quite a price to get thos sticks @ a brick&mortar store. Nice find... post some results?

You need to remove the heatspreader to know for sure. Everyone who's done it pretty much has their own opinion for what's the best method, but it's basically up to you. Once you get the clips off (nudging slightly with a small screwdriver then pulling off), the only thermal tape holding it on. Being careful, you can slowly yank it off (it depends how tight the tape is holding it on). Wiggling it a little bit at a time will make it come off. It is possible to accidently yank off a transistor or damage a pin, so be careful but you needn't be overly worried.

I removed the heatspreaders on my KHX PC3000 and the chips were remarked with the Kingston logo and numbers. But you could tell they were Winbond chips. Use the model numbers that you listed and look them up at the Kingston website, if they are rated 2,2,2,6,1T timing, then they are BH-5 chips. BTW, my PC3000 are awesome, I have gotten DDR453 out of them and they perform better than my OCZ PC3500 EL RAM.

well I ended up just putting it in my nf7-s system and started memtest86 now.

Running @ 200mhz @ 2-2-2-6 @ 2.6v, just failed at the end of 1st run (99%) :(

Upping to 2.7v now...... crossed my finger.

[EDIT]

well upped to 2.7v now had passed 2 run, pretty good, I guess it's bh5 since I can run @ 2-2-2-6?

What's the typical voltage for bh5 to run @ 200mhz?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back