• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie lookin for help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GSXR1000

Registered
Hey everyone...I finally saved up enough to build a decent computer to play with. Im trying to see what it can do but not sure what exactly to mess with when overclocking. I have a general idea but trying to be careful. Anyone wanna help me see what i can get out of this thing? thanks

A7N8X-e deluxe, 2500+, 512 corsair xms 3200pro, ati 9600, WD 200 gig

If it is unlocked you can adjust the Multiplier...

Increasing the FSB is always better though, and u can do it since u have good ram.

But if your happy with your new system, just use it at stock, unless of course your craving that extra power..

But it would be a shame to fry something that took so long to save up for.

thank you for the quick replies. Right now i have the stock heatsink and fan on the proc. Plenty of case fans for cooling. My power supply is an older 300w. A new one is my next purchase. How can i tell if its unlocked or not?

If you can change the multiplier in the BIOS...if you change it too say 10x and it boots up at 10x, not default...then it is unlocked...but odds are if it is a newer one, then it isn't...and since you are using the stock HS and stock thermal paste...watch your temps...between 60 and 65c you will probably start getting into the unstable temps...heat will make a OC CPU unstable...and watch your rails...+5 and +12 with that old PSU...poor voltage rails on one or the other or both can cause instability also...

I treid messing with the fsb...but when i left my roomate messed with it a little too much. Now im getting this error

bad image checksum The image url.dll is possibly corrypt. The header checksum does not match the corrupted checksum

Im soo ****ed!! Ive tried clearing the cmos a few time..using the jumper..removing the battery...doing both. Still the same error? Anything else i can try?

Upping the FSB too high can cause hard drive corruption in some cases.

Try raising your tRAS value on your memory - you should set it at 11. When you look your BIOS it's the highest value memory option...might be around 5-6 or so.

Also, if you can get into Windows, open up command prompt (Start --> Run --> Type "CMD" w/o quotes) and type in "chkdsk" without quotes. See if that picks up any errors.

You can try to reflash the BIOS through a 98 start up disk (true DOS)...

this is a good reason for putting a password on your BIOS...so "friends" like that can't mess with your system...

hopefully they didnt corrput your BIOS chip...

Back