• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet Fans!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plbowler

My system sounds like it's about to launch through the freakin roof!!!!

I need some recommednations for quiet fans.

3 80mm case fans
1 Socket A CPU

The vid card will be switching to a 9600Pro AIW as soon (as soon sa I open the box).

EDIT: weird double post thing.

What fans do you have...you can do a 7v mod with switch on them if you would rather keep your fans...this way you have the airflow when needed...but when you flip the switchs you will get the quitness when needed also...this will save you from buying new fans...just will take a few switches and the time to do the 7v mod to them all...but still cheaper then buying new fans...

Or if you do want to buy new fans, get a few Panaflo L1A 80mm fans. They're rated pretty quiet. I'd go for a Panaflo H1A on the heatsink as it has a higher cfm rate, and it's not supposed to be too much louder than the L1A's.

edit: Here's a link for the L1A. Here's a link for the H1A.

edit: Just noticed newegg doesn't have the L1A's in stock until the middle of Januray. D'oh! They can also be found here, but note that they are only the FBA012H1L, not the L1A. If you're interested, this is a really nice guide on identifying panaflo fan part #'s. Hope all this helps. :)

Last edited:
I don't mind buying new fans at all.
in fact I'd be much more inclined to buy new fans and a fan controll unit then to mod the fans I have, they're just too loud, and cheap.

One is stockwith the evercase 4252, one is a variable speed, but GOOD GOD is it LOUD!!!!, the other is a thermaltake blue LED, which i haven't installed yet but its a 22db.

i'd just as soon get all new fans.

WEBFREAK: thanks, I'll check that out.

I only have an XP 1700, it just shouldn't be so loud.

Last edited:
I second the motion by webfreak on the Panaflo fans.There are a couple more you should look at.They are the Sanyo-Denki and Papst. What type or model HS are you running now? Do you have your HSF wired to the mobo header? Keep your flow up & your dBA down,THE FANMAN:cool:

Heatsink and fan are cheapo antec i think, yes wired to the MoBo header, I was a bit more noobish when I started this PC, I'm just going back and fixing some of the things I overlooked the first time around.

Like fans, I also don't know If my 1700+ is an A or a B (I know, thats a cardinal sin here)

I also have an evercase4252 and I'm building a system using a thermaltake smartfan II for the front intake and 2 pc power and cooling silencers on the rear/side exaust (never gave the one that came with the case a chance). This setup should be pretty quiet.. but I have yet to actually see,

yeah, that side intake is pretty loud.

thats an ugly case, but a DREAM to work with, I just finished a Athlon 64 system with a Coolermaster Wave Case which looks great but is dangerous as hell, I have scars.

Hey who you calling ugly? I personally think my all-black evercase looks good. But then again, I guess I have unique taste in case design since I find myself hating the look of nearly all the more expensive ones. Yet I agree about the hazard - I have cut/scraped myself a few times.. but no biggie.

FYI to the poster.. the fans I listed above go for about $13 for the TT and $10 for the PC Power and Cooling (pcpowercooling.com - good service there).

I am the poster, and my evercase is beige, and it's not ugly I guess, but it's plain. I don't like the real busy cases like the XASER III and that kind of crap.

THe dangerous case is the Wavemaster, not the Evercase. And they're not screapes, they're CUTS, that Aluminum is SHARP.

I've never seen the all black evercase, lemme go look.
yeah, same as mine only black. It's Ok I guess, but a DREAM to build with.

thanks for the fan info.

plbowler said:
in fact I'd be much more inclined to buy new fans and a fan controll unit then to mod the fans I have, they're just too loud, and cheap.

7V Mod with switch

If you haven't seen this mod...read it...you would be suprised how easy it is to do this mod...I have done it to my 92mm tornado and it works great...have the full RPM's when needed and have the quiteness at night when needed also...took me less then 10 minutes to do this mod...and the cost was a great big .50 for the switch at my local radio shack...

You can try running SpeedFan. If your motherboard supports it, speedfan can read your temperatures and automatically control the speed of your fans. Its safe, its automatic and its free. Worth a try at least.

Back