• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2600 - Hit an OC wall---why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craneage2001

I've got an unlocked Barton 2600, (week code 331 if I recall, AQXEA stepping) running on a ASUS A7V600 mobo with Geil PC3200 DDR. I can run flawlessly @ 11X200 (Prime95 ok) at 1.75v with a load temp of 45°C. However, I cannot hit the 11.5x200 (runs fine, fails Prime within a few iterations). I've dropped my video card down to 4x AGP. I can kick the voltage up to 1.85 and run Stability Test with no problems; I hit 49°C...I've read many people hit 2.3 with the 2500's at stock voltages, which makes me wonder what's holding me back. The only thing I can think is my PSU is to blame ( 420W that came with case)...while Prime'ing I get the following voltages:
PHP:
VCore:      1.75
3.3V Line:  3.26
5V Line:    4.78
12V Line:   12.5

Any thoughts?

Are you trying to run 11.5 x 200 with only 1.75vcore? If so you might just have to bump it up. I have a Barton 2500 but roughly the same, mine will fail prime if I use 1.825vcore but passes easily with 1.85vcore or 1.875vcore. I just think it needs more juice. Being a little optimistic thinking you can get 2.3GHz with only 1.75vcore I think.

One thing...not every CPU OC's the same and the 2600's didnt OC as well as the 2500's and 2800's...so if adding more voltage doesn't help then odds are you are at the max of the CPU...

I may not have written it clearly...I tried it 11.5x200 @ 1.85v and it fails Prime; I've had my FSB up to 210 with no problems by lowering the multiplier to 10, but anything over 2.2 at the chip fails so far...I could up the voltages but I only have aircooling as of now...

If you have a good HS...then running past 1.85 wont hurt it...just watch your temps...but just becasue your ram runs at 210 doesnt mean your CPU will run at 210...and it sounds like you possible miight of run into your max OC on the CPU...

I have had CPU's that wouldn't OC 100Mhz past default no matter what...those get sold real quick ;)

craneage2001 said:
I may not have written it clearly...I tried it 11.5x200 @ 1.85v and it fails Prime; I've had my FSB up to 210 with no problems by lowering the multiplier to 10, but anything over 2.2 at the chip fails so far...I could up the voltages but I only have aircooling as of now...
Same here.. my bro's super dud Barton2600+ topped out at 2.2ghz air cooled(SLK800). He waterchilled it, got it to 2.48~ 2.5ghz stable.. You hit a wall at blah blah mhz with air cooling and blah blah blah mhz with supercooling dude..

the thing is... ya can't expect most bartons do similar overclocks even with the same stepping.. don't get your hopes too high.. this is all luck...

Your +5v rail seems very low, it could very well be your power supply. I know how it is with sucky PSUs I used to use one, I couldn't even POST at 2GHz if my vcore was set to over 1.7. the 4.78v on the +5v rail is pretty much where the mobo starts to fail due to low voltage, get a brand name 350 or even better 400+W PSU and see your stability issues dissapear

Well, first of all, I made a new duct straight from the outside of the case to the CPU HS like I had on my old PC and my load temps dropped 6°C. With this new benefit, I upped my vCore to 1.9v and it's been Prime'ing all day at 11.5x200 for 2.3ghz...It's hitting a load temp of 47°C, which isn't too shabby considering the case is fairly quiet...

Thanks for all the input; we'll have to see where it goes from here (I've got a nice heater core and pump in the attic, water may be on the way...)

How odd.
My 2600+ runs just fine all day, every day at 200x11.5 with a vcore of 1.71v.
Current CPU temp ( folding) is 35c at a case ambient of 26.7c.

I lucked out ,I guess...

That's what had me a bit baffled; I've seen a great many people hit 11.5x200 with relatively low voltages...oh well, it's rock stable at 2.3 now.:D If I could get my temps down a bit more, it may run stable at lower voltages.

Back