• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron goodness in every bite

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tbaerg

Registered
Hey guys,
I was just reading the article over at Anand about their 2way server shootout and I noticed something on the first page that caught my eye. It says that althought the 1xx series opteron's are certified for uniprocessor usage and so on with the 2xx series, there is nothing to stop users from using 1xx series processors in 2way configurations. Now I just got my dually Opteron mobo from fedex today and this really got me thinking, "What if I just get two 146 or 148 opterons?" That would really save me some money. You guys think it's a possibility or am I just playing opteron roulette with an completely loaded chamber. Let me know what you guys think

Tom

I think you're playing roulette...

If you look in the smp forum there is allready talk about running athlon fx's on a dual motherboard. Seems like they will work, but the boost in performance is not as good as it is when using 2xx opterons. I believe the problem is that the 1xx opterons only have one hypertransport link active, while the 2xx have 3.

Back