• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little Advice Please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

start

Hi!

I'm looking for some advice. I have a 1700 DLT3C right now, but haven't been able to do much with it due to motherboard limitations.

I'm about to order an NF7-S, for 2 reasons.

1. To free up my motherboard for another computer
2. To overclock my CPU a little.

OK. So Right now, I have a 512 Twinmos 2700 ram stick [with twinmos chips].

I also have a 256 unbranded 2100 stick.

My cpu heatsink is a TT Volcano 9 (I think its TT, I cant remember :D)

Aaaanyway, I know my ram isn't up to much (the twinmos, lets forget about the unbranded stick), but right now I'm not interested in buying all new ram since I'm out of work, and strapped for cash :D

What kinda FSB do you think I can get the ram to? Some time ago, I heard something about a feature of the NF7-S that allowed you to get a decend FSB despite poor ram. I'm not sure though, does anyone have more information?

All in all, considering my system, first off:

1. Is getting this new motherboard going to give me a reasonable overclock?

2. Is this the right motherboard for me? I haven't checked the overclocking scene for like, 6 months, I'm just assuming the Abit is still the business ;)

I think thats all the info I need to hand over. My sig has my current PC specs anyway (although I reverted to stock speeds).

TIA!

First things first yes the NF7-S is still the board of choice for OCing an AMD chip ;)

You do have the option for running your memory out of sync with your FSB, by chosing ratios to run at (5/6 or something like that would be out of sync, where 6/6 would be in sync). I would recommend that you run in sync at the highest speed your memory can handle. You may be able to run more FSB if you run out of sync, but there is a performance impact to doing that and it ends up you just get better performance running in sync at a lower FSB.

I don't have any experience with that exact model of memory you have, but with some extra vdimm voltage and loose timings you could probably run around 200fsb, which will give a nice performance boost. Best thing will just be to try it and see :)

Most everyone here agrees that the NF7-S is tops when it come to overclocking. But YMMV it all depends on the board. Just like CPU's have different OC'ing characteristics so do mobo's. You should do fine with the NF7-S (its also cheaper ;) )

Abit is basiclly on top right now. When the next gen mobo's come out that could change but who knows. Do not get the AN7. too many people have reported problems with it, including shotty workmanship (almost unheard of from Abit).

With the right cooling and some luck you could get over 2gig on the 1700+. It just all depends on the components in your system.

Volcano 9 is TT and this thread sould really have been put in the General Motherboards section ;)

Sharkman said:
Do not get the AN7. too many people have reported problems with it, including shotty workmanship (almost unheard of from Abit).

people are reporting that the newer AN7's do not have that cut now...but still wont run BH-5 memory chips very well...I posted on another AN7 thread on the forum where the AN7 and newer abit motherboard (including the newer revisioned MB's) are being made to run the CH-5 chips now...which is going to suck for all of the people that run corsair XMS...hyper X and OCZ plat. ram sticks...

glock19owner said:

people are reporting that the newer AN7's do not have that cut now...but still wont run BH-5 memory chips very well...I posted on another AN7 thread on the forum where the AN7 and newer abit motherboard (including the newer revisioned MB's) are being made to run the CH-5 chips now...which is going to suck for all of the people that run corsair XMS...hyper X and OCZ plat. ram sticks...

That is excellent news! I am glad Abit was able to fix thier mistake quickly. Still sucks about the memory though but like all new hardware (and software for that matter) it's best to wait a few months until they get the kinks out.

Something I forgot to mention in my first post. You could try and sell your memory in the classifieds. Then use that plus a little more and get some better memory. Just a thought ;)

Back