• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it worth the extra 200 bones for the 64 3200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IMO:

no...just think of it as the duron of the 64 bit CPU's...why spend that much for a duron 64 bit system and get a 5% or so increase...when you can buy a XP2500 barton and still have the same thing as the 3000 expect minus the 64 bit CPU...plus you will have to buy a new MB...since the 3000 is a 754 socket CPU...but at least it can people dont have to buy new ram for the new MB...

glock19owner said:
IMO:

no...just think of it as the duron of the 64 bit CPU's...why spend that much for a duron 64 bit system and get a 5% or so increase...when you can buy a XP2500 barton and still have the same thing as the 3000 expect minus the 64 bit CPU...plus you will have to buy a new MB...since the 3000 is a 754 socket CPU...but at least it can people dont have to buy new ram for the new MB...

It's quite a bit better than a barton clocked at xp3000 speeds. But that's because of the on-die memory controller.

Personally, I would wait until the 939 pin cpu's come out. The 939 pin cpu's will come in both a64 and aFX flavors. The 1mb L2's will be FX's and the 512k L2's will eventually become the a64's. I think that they will begin phasing out the 1mb 754 pin's out, or something along those lines. If they don't phase them out then 939 (512k) and 754 (1mb) will both be the Pr rated a64's by the middle of next year. The 64-bit 754 (512k) will be the mid low end.

Unless your comp is unbearable at the moment I would wait until upgrading to an athlon64.

edit: I upgraded to a 2.8C @ 3.4 ghz at the moment, and I feel no difference over my xp3000 (462) running at stock. So I doubt an a64 xp3000 will do much for you.

i dont want to get one, i was just wondering. im not upgrading till the new stuff comes out with ddr2 and pci express. then im gunna built my second system. im hoping all this will happen is a year or less.

SnComet2 said:

The 939 pin cpu's will come in both a64 and aFX flavors.

Are they going to make a single channel 939 cpu?? A64's are socket 754's that are going to be gimped in the next couple of months ( cheapo sshmeepo ) like you said, but I never heard of a single channel 939.

Krowa 02 said:

Are they going to make a single channel 939 cpu?? A64's are socket 754's that are going to be gimped in the next couple of months ( cheapo sshmeepo ) like you said, but I never heard of a single channel 939.

No the 939 is not single channel. But there are 2 of them. One with the 1MB L2 cache, and one with the 512k L2 cache. The ones with 512k should be a64's according to some news I saw on neowin and anandtech.

I too am looking to upgrade my pc. I am currently using a P4 1.5ghz.
When are the amd 64 939 gonna come out?

AL Romero said:
i dont want to get one, i was just wondering. im not upgrading till the new stuff comes out with ddr2 and pci express. then im gunna built my second system. im hoping all this will happen is a year or less.

PCI Express is supposed to hit late next year, but DDR2 will not be available till the K9 which is only supposed to be around H2 of 2005.

everlost said:
I too am looking to upgrade my pc. I am currently using a P4 1.5ghz.
When are the amd 64 939 gonna come out?

First ever socket 939 is supposed to hit around april next year but its still unkown whether will they support the 90nm hammers and will only use AGP slot for video cards. The next generation of mobos should introduce PCI Express and most likely full support for 90nm Hammers, they are supposed to hit sometimes next summer-fall

i thought ddr2 was comeing in the 2h of 2004. maybe im wrong but either way, im not upgrading until pci express and ddr 2 r out. i dont think it would be worth spending the money for the a64 now knowing that im gunna want the ddr 2 and pci express goods when they arrive.

Back