• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Question: Whats better Thunderbird 1.0ghz or Duron 1.3ghz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't have direct experience with either, but the 1.3 Durons are Morgan core, similar to Palomino and more recent than the T-bird; also more overclockable.

Depends a lot on what you intend to do, if you are planning to run Folding on it, the Duron will do far better because it has SSE and the Athlon doesn't.

Last edited:
well I have no experiance withthe Duron, but I just bought a thunderbird and so far am happy with it. for 30 bucks it aint bad. But I do have a post where I am asking a few questions about it... Kinda new to this whole OC thing...

Mike

thunderbird all the way. the cache alone makes it better. and if your lucky its unlocked like mine was and with the right cooling you could easily hit 1.5 or so with it.

go with the bird :D

go with the Durons. the morgan core or Applebred are quite nice, run faster and much cooler.

I beleive there have been some comparisons on tHG or anantech
or elsewhere.

you can also check on 3D madonion database the performance of machines equipped with both.

I just replaced a 1.2 T-bird a.k.a. "toaster oven". This was a decent core in it's time but it runs hot & doesn't OC all that well. The production limit for this core was 1.33ghz - that's as fast as AMD could get it to run so good luck to you - lol.

Yeah, getting a 1.6GHz Duron gives you a pretty good chance of hitting high speeds with the right mobo and RAM, unless you get an unlocked one where you can have any mobo/ram and unlock the rest of the disabled cache to get a fully working Tbred

The Tbird will hit up to 1.4GHz depending on stepping and cooling etc. The Duron will probably hit the same if it is a Morgan core.

The Tbird has more cache but then the Duron has SSE....

so what will it be guys the duron 1.3ghz (old color purple) or the Tbird 1.0ghz.

i believe the duron i got is not the new core ones... coz from looking at it it looked like the older model ones. and as for tbird i can unlock it easily.

so i'm still leaning towards the tbird...

it's for my parent's/bro system... so not for me... i'm happy with my 2 cpu's.. barton 2500 @ 2460 air cooled. and 1800 dlt3c @ 2.4 air cooled.

What is your budget? For around $40 you can get a new Applebred duron...
If it must be either one, it will depend on the Tbirds stepping, if its good it can do 1.5GHz with good cooling and PSU, if it isn't it might top out at 1.3ghz
the duron should do around 1.4ghz tops

It sounds like he has both already and wants to know which to use. I'd go for the duron 1.3.

You can enable the 256 L2 Cache on the duron, on the tbird it is already there. I keep reading about how people are running thier 1.6 durons well over that yet I am struggling to keep my tbird 1.3 running at 1.5. I am happy with my birdie, but If I wa to buy it again, I think I would gowith the 1.6 duron applebred. I think it was like 5 bucks cheaper than my 1.3 tbird, but I was jazzed by the l2 cache on the bird...

Mike

ya i already have both cpu... i'm planning to slap it on my parents computer.... i gues i will be putting 1.3ghz on their k7s5a and slap the birdie on L7 ecs mobo...

one last question.... i wont overclock both cpu no more.... so what would be better for surfing net and typing word docs etc... nothing fancy.... duron 1.3 or tbird 1ghz.

The duron is WAY better. The 30% speed increase coupled with the sse instruction set by far put it ahead of the tbird.

Back