• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird goings on with my 2800@3200 speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johnson

Registered
Hi guys,

Got a strange one for you(or not if you have experienced this lol),basically I have just started experimenting overclocking my processor and all has been fine for approx 3 weeks.

Heres the score I have been running my XP2800 @ XP3200 speeds so not a huge O/C by any means and it has been performing fine until tuesday of this week.

I only tend to play one game UT 2003 and only ever play online now I have been getting really good pings etc no packet loss or anything.Now though I seem to get a stutter whilst moving around maps(I have tried this offline and its all ok).Initially I thought the problm was with my ISP so have spoken to them and done tracerts which they have checked all ok.
Tried another network card and cable,same problem.Hell I even bought a copy of Norton AV just in case I had a virus.Everything checks out fine and then I downloaded the Cat 3.10 drivers.
Used Driver Cleaner and benchmarked the system and only got 14500 points (usually around 17500).
So I uninstalled them and went back to the 3.9 Omegas ran the bench again and back up to 17500.

Carried on trying various things with the pc to no avail then thought ok lets wind down the O/C to standard and well knock me down with a feather it all seems to be working now.

Is this usual?Why would it all run faultlessly for circa 3 weeks then suddenly start to act up?
Heres a list of my hardware just for reference

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
XP2800
Crucial 9800 pro
512k Adata pc3200

ISP Pipex 1 meg trial

If you have got this far thanks for reading.

Just to add I just tried it again a XP3200 speeds and it was as before.

Cheers

J

Did you check your overclock for stability, or raise the Vcore at all when you overclocked the processor to 3200+ speeds? To check for stability run "Prime95" (a google search will net it) torture test for 12 hours or more - if no errors occur than your overclock is more-or-less stable. Running Prime95 on priority ten for 24 hours or more is a much better guaratee for "true" stability - and is a really good idea in my books ;).

If errors occur raise the Vcore Voltage a little bit (0.025 V) at a time, and then re-test with prime95 untill stability is attained. Try to keep an eye on your processor temperatures (a utility called "Motherboard Moniter 5" will do the trick - again google :)) - if they exceed 50 degrees celcius back off on the overclock/Vcore, or get better cooling (a better fan, a better heatsink, more case airflow, lower ambient temperature, etc.).

For now I would check for stability, check and see what your temperatures are like, and go from there :)

Nice system by the way! :drool:

felinusz,

Cheers for the reply fella.

I have Prime already so will set that going before I turn in tonite(me nervous as I never leave the pc on)

Thanks

Edit to add OMG just read your system specs....WOW

J

Last edited:
Back