• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i cut off these grills

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
k, should i take everything out, or can i put it on its back, put a towel over the inside of the grill and cut it off?

The safest way is to remove everything to prevent any metal filings from shorting the board/video card, but I have cut holes before by covering everything very well, and hit inside with some canned air after just to be sure.

Milkman

Im debating stripping everything out, or covering it up. On one side im playing it safe by stripping, bun on the other im saving an hour by covering up stuff.

This link may be of help to you.On page 5 or 6 I give a detail procudure on the issue.There all sorts of ideas and tips at this thread,for cooling improvements. THE FANMAN:cool:

MOD LINK :D

THANK YOU,,,You guys make it possible to share all of this info.
Its nice to have a cooling reference handy.Who knows it may become a sticky one day. Keep your flow up,THE FANMAN:cool:

Dremels work great.They just create more metal debris.Mod on Agent Mull.Cover well or clear out.THese are the tough desisions.
THE FANMAN:cool:

Just to play it safe though, I'd remove everything. Imagine the huge kick in the a$$ you'd give yourself if you messed something up just by doing something quicker. Remember, the computer is your baby so take extra care! :p

take out all the cards...disconnect all wires...put the wires behind the mobo and cover the mobo with saran wrap and then a CLEAN dishtowel over that...then use some masking tape to hold it to some metal and i do believe you should be all right...then take some canned air and a vaccume and clean out some dustbunnies wile your at it(since you're improving air flow)

Would you rather loose a mobo, maybe a cpu, or an hour of your time? Clear the case before cutting! I use a dremel myself for case mods, you would not believe the fine grit they create. Clean your case when you are done. Do yourself a favor and don't ever cut corners :)

but dont ever do what i did two weeks ago when changing my case....i came to take out and transfer my mobo when i discovered that two of the screw heads had bored out - it was totaly stuck. not wanting the bill for a new one i got a cordless powerdrill and bored through the first screw head until the screw sheared in half and released its evil grip on my mobo. however the second one wouldnt come free...so i cut my case in half using a hacksaw, cut round the mobo area, tore of the other side of the case protecting the back of the mounting plate and drilled it blindly from the back until the entire mount broke of. my girlfriends face was not a happy one when she came home (even if it did work and my mobos fine)....
my advice to you friend...take everything out...my mobo is still full of aluminium shavings

Good advice. THanks alot people
Also would those grates cause enough of an increase in airflow to lower my cpu temps?

Last edited:
they may.... when i cut them out of my old case my temps dropped a bit... you will get WAY more air flow in your case... also, if you remove all your parts it gives you a chance to dust and clean it all up.

Back