• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Barton @ NewEgg.com

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n3xu5

Does anyone know if the current Barton 2500+'s over at newegg are good right now? i'm in need of another barton and i just wanna see if anyone has gotten anything good from them here recently.

They have this oem AXDA 2500 DKV4D.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...103-378&catalog=343&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

and of course their retail.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...103-379&catalog=343&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

Lemme know i'm looking forward to some feedback. I really need to grab a barton that "dream" of hitting 2.4 or something close, hehe

its a luck of the draw to be honest...heard some people have lucked out and recieved a unlocked 2500 while most...would say 99% or so...has recieved the newer bartons which are locked...

if thats the real case, where can i get an unlocked barton that will perform well? any suggestions?

about your only chance for that...is to hit the local stores and see if they will let you look at the steppings and weeks of the CPU's...all the places that guaranteed a cetrain stepping and week are all sold out once people knew the newest bartons where locked...

read this link...it will help you on what too look for...

Last edited:
Listen to Glock. If you want to get an unlocked Barton, then you will have to scrounge around for a chip made pre week 39. Anything after that is questionable as to whether or not it is locked.

unlocked

I bought my unlocked barton from http://medianettech.com/amdatxp25133.html

Although they have been raising their prices, they are still the only place I could find a unlocked barton at. This is the only time that I've bought off of them, but I'd recommend them.

Also, a unlocked chip is only really important if you don't have pc3200 memory or higher. This is why I needed a unlocked one, I only have pc2700.

119.00 for a unlocked XP2500...that is getting a little to out of hand...but still a nice last resort...but I still would do a little hunting around at the local stores if they are cheaper then median...if not, then jump on that offer...

n3xu5 said:
Does anyone know if the current Barton 2500+'s over at newegg are good right now? i'm in need of another barton and i just wanna see if anyone has gotten anything good from them here recently.

They have this oem AXDA 2500 DKV4D.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...103-378&catalog=343&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

and of course their retail.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...103-379&catalog=343&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

I ordered the retail version from newegg on November 13 and got a locked processor (week 0343, stepping AQYFA).

Lemme know i'm looking forward to some feedback. I really need to grab a barton that "dream" of hitting 2.4 or something close, hehe

I'm currently running my locked Barton 2500+ at 2024mhz (184 x 11) at the default 1.65 VCore using the stock heatsink/fan. This is on an ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard with a Crucial PC2700 512mb DIMM. Temps are quite cool at 40C idle / 47C under load. I intend to try bumping it up a bit higher after I'm certain it's absolutely stable at this speed. Here is a wcpuid screenshot I just took. When I hit stability problems, or when CPU Burn-In manages to bump it over 50C, I'll dial it down a notch.

Of course, since I'm using the GeForce2 MX400 leftover from my old Slot A system, I won't exactly get massive 3d performance, but maybe by the end of next month I can get that 256MB ASUS GeForce FX 5700 card I've been salivating over :D

IMHO, increasing the FSB gives better results than playing with multipliers, so the locked multiplier isn't that big of a hindrance. Sure, I'd like to be able try hitting 184mhz FSB with a 13x multiplier, but c'est la vie...

Agreed. I also bought mine for $99. Which is only $15 more then newegg.

I agree that $120 is def. steep. Searching around at local shops could prove to be much cheaper, just more time comsuming. It's a trade off either way I guess.

I'm not sure what stepping NewEgg is currently shipping but I just got an OEM 2500 this week, from Monarch for $83.00 shipped 2-day Fedex and it was a week 48. Locked, but overclocking better than my unlocked week 37 2600. I just finished running Prime95 torture Priority 10 overnight at 11x210 (2.31 Ghz) at 1.675 Vcore. It took 1.775Vcore on my week 37 2600 to run stable under Prime95 Torture Priority 10.

Hoot

Another 2500+ here, ordered it mid December & got a 0343 - locked. It does 2.2 on stock voltage, not to shabby for $86

Re: unlocked

iLLestOne said:
Agreed. I also bought mine for $99. Which is only $15 more then newegg.

I agree that $120 is def. steep. Searching around at local shops could prove to be much cheaper, just more time comsuming. It's a trade off either way I guess.

In the UK we pay more than that ($132 average) for any XP2500 :eek:

Even online? I'm sure Fry's and CompUSA would sell it for around $132, but online I'd figure you'd be able to get it cheaper.

My RAM will probally only be able to get up to 180fsb, MAYBE 190mhz. So I needed a unlocked one :p 1.98ghz just isn't enough(180x11). I need at least 2.25ghz (180x12.5) :)

you will need good ram if you get a locked chip.... what is the stepping and week of the chip you have now? i would try some new ram and it may beable to hit around 2.3 pretty easy ( 11 x 210 ) or even higher

Well I lucked out. I order a 2500+, along with the rest of the gear for my new pc(see sig) from Newegg Thursday morning. Got everything this afternoon, and after putting it together I go into the BIOS and low and behold it isn't locked.

Lucky, ain't I:)

Congratulations. Keep in mind that you can adjust the multiplier of a locked Barton in bios, but despite being able to ask for a particular multiplier, with a locked Barton, you simply don't get what you asked for after you restart out of bios. A quick check with any number of applications, once you get into your OS, will reveal what you got versus what you asked for.

Hoot

Back