• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It is time for more ram!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
only bad thing ive heard about them is buying from the site and how people have had problems with their order

I would say it depends on what you plan to do. I had 256MB in my machine...and someone gave me a 128MB stick free. It's good enough for me, as it provided a huge boost. You wouldn't think that such a small amount would improve stuff, but considering I had already 32MB taken out for onboard graphics, it helped.

i was running 3d studio max on my 9800 with 256mb ram and my computer nearly froze just for trying to start the program. i couldnt stop lagging until i uninstalled it

Get the 512MB...you won't regret it!! Like I had previously said, 128MB seemed to make a big difference. If you add another 256, your PC should be a lot faster. Of course, it's another issue if you can't afford the 512 at the moment...but just buy it and then deal with your old piece.

DarkDraco said:
i was running 3d studio max on my 9800 with 256mb ram and my computer nearly froze just for trying to start the program. i couldnt stop lagging until i uninstalled it

damn , take care of your PC alittle better ;)

I had a geforce ti 4200 and 256mbs ddr ram pc2100, and when i ran 3d studio max 5, it never did that.

I now have 768 total, love it. Just got it friday.

Deffinetly, you should keep that 256 and get another 512, thats what i currently did. its mixed samsung 25 6pc2100, and kingston 512 pc2100, no probs though.
It seems that i have more than enough. I see big improvements.
enemy territory use to take so long to load and kept loading after the game started, now it loads me into one of the first of the other players in the game, and no load on it starting in the game. :)

Keep the 256 stick and add a 512mb stick. Unless you're giving your friend a steal, he can buy it elsewhere.

im not going to keep both in. i have overclocked my systems and i dont want to pay for a ram that will perform slower than what i paid for. the ram i have now will be slower than the 512. thats why i asked if i should buy the same stick or replace it with faster.

you overclock your system?! We don't appreciate that here at Overclockers forum :)

Hmm...in that case, I'd suggest you get the faster RAM if possible. That seems a lot better, as you're obviously focused on max performance.

I thought having 3 gig was a waste, so I sold off 2 gig and regretted it so much ...went back to 2 gig. yes there is a difference between 1 and 2 gig of ram especially when rendering or 3d animation

A difference...yes. But honestly, how many people really need that much memory? Unless you're running a professional 3D animation program for a huge 100+ million dollar hollywood film...seems quite unnecessary.

Back