• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7v mod on Thermaltake Volcano 7+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_slh_

I just 7v modded all my case fans, and the drop in volume was well worth the mod. However, the fan on my Volcano 7+ is still really noisy. The switch that came with it to alter the speed hasnt worked properly from day 1, so I thought instead Id make a molex adaptor to 7v mod the fan, that just plugged in between the fan wire and the PSU, so that if my temps went up by too much all Id have to do was unplug it. When the convertor is connectoed, the comp posts fine, the cpu fan spins ok (not too noisy either) but it wont boot. It gets all the way to the win XP "welcome" screen, then shuts itself down. Without the connector, everythings fine. Any ideas whats causing it? BTW, to make the connecotr, I took a molex socket, and inline crimped the red and yellow wires to the yellow and black wires on a molex plug.

hmm... do you know what your temps are like? maybe it shuts down because the heat rises to fast...

I dont think its anything to do with temps...basically because it gets to the exact same place everytime before shutting down. Even if I boot it 4 or 5 times in a row, it gets to the same point before it shuts down. Temps in the Bios are showing at 37c with the 7v mod in place. Cant check them in windows, but without the mod when in windows, MBM shows the CPU temp at 36c

pretty sure...all thats connected to that molex cable is the cpu fan and my case fans. Going to do a bit more tinkering with it this weekend, see if I can figure it out

Some power supplies refuse to work with the 7 volt mod.
I found that using two 120mm fans caused my computer
not to post.
The thermaltake is a power-hungry fan - maybe you have just
found the limit to the power supply.

the PSU sorks fine with all my other case fans modded to 7v, and the CPU fan is fine when run at 12v...Id have thought that if it was the PSU that was at fault, it would be the other way around

did you attach all those fans to one molex header? maybe your just overloading the molex...

again, if it was overloading that was the problem, then sureley thered be less chance of overloading with everything running at 7v than there would be with them all running at 12v.

no i mean, maybe your 5v line would be overloaded or something, because if the CPU fan were to run at 12v, then the 5v would be ok, but one more fan hooked up (partially) to the 5v line, maybe that could lead to a crash..

I dont think its down to overloading. I just tried it again, this time with just the cpu fan and hard drive connected. Booted fine at 12v, wouldnt work at 7v. Im probably going to give up on it and just buy a quieter fan for my CPU.

Last edited:
Back