• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram MHZ to CPU Mhz (Need help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z3r0

My chip is a AMD Athlon XP 2500 not yet overclocked, and its unlocked. But default is 166fsb/11multi. So what should my RAM mhz be at? Its Kingston HyperX 512mb PC3500. I was wondering how I judge RAM mhz. Say if my CPU FSB is at 160. Is that what the RAM mhz should be at?

when your cpu boots up the fsb will be running 166 and the memory will be running the same, if u set the ratio to 1-1. since u have pc 3500 it is designed to run approx 216. (422 ddr)that gives u alot of leeway to overclock the fsb and not have to worry about the memory crappin out. so if your cpu can handle a 200 fsb which is 2200 (11x20), then your memory will run at 200 (ddr400). if your cpu can handle a 220 fsb which is 2420 (11x220) then your memory will run 220 (ddr440) .therefore it was a smart idea to get pc3500.

run the RAM 1:1 with your CPU, this i think will give best results, that pc3500 will indeed give you more than enough headroom to OC !

So RAM MHZ and CPU FSB are supposed to be the same for good speeds?

On the nForce2 boards most folks have found a 1:1 or 100% ratio to be the most stable and gives the highest performance. Tighter ram timings is more important than top speed on the nForce2 boards. I would run PC3500 @ 200mhz at 5-2-2-2 timings before Id run it at 7-3-3-2 just to get more speed. If you want to squeeze every last bit of performance you'll have to test your board at different settings.

On VIA boards you want to get max speed on FSB and Ram even if they are out of sync.

Back