• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling for a T-bird 1400 and an Athlon XP 2100?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prok

Hello all. I want to set up better cooling for my two brothers computers, the cpu temps are sitting at a little over 50 degrees C. One of them is a T-bird 1400 and the other is an Athlon XP 2100. Neither of these will be oc'ed. I'm trying to keep each hsf at about 30 dollars and I was hoping I could install a fan controller on the drive bay for each of them. Any suggestions? I was looking at a Thermaltake Volcano 11+ but I don't know much about cooling, I just know that 50 degrees idle isn't good! Thanks in advance for any help.

For a tbird that isnt too bad, they are notorious for running extremly hot. Many people ran them at 70c and were ok.

I dont like the volcano series, I would get perhaps a Jet7 for them, its a superior heatsink. i believe it also comes with a fan controler.

The jet7 goes to 3500rpm while others (like the volcano) go as high as 5000rpm or more. Will this matter much for cooling?

A lot of people, including myself, find the Vantec Aeroflow to be a very good compromise between noise and cooling.

I think I paid $26 for mine.

The TMD fan doesn't produce the high-pitched whine typical of many HS fans.

Also clips on pretty nice and easy.

Probably not for the serious overclocker, but a very good solution for general cooling.

now you'll note from my sig that my tbird is running at 50C, but that's overclocked, overvolted, and the fan reversed and turned down by 40%.

the wesson

Prok said:
The jet7 goes to 3500rpm while others (like the volcano) go as high as 5000rpm or more. Will this matter much for cooling?

I have a 50mm fan fo my chipset that operates at 5600-5800rpm. It's no where near to cool as good as my Aero7+(speed ctrl.) that runs currently at 2300rpm. The point is you can't compare fans on their RPM. Look at the CFM.However...
My Aero7+ is rated to 20CFM at full speed. But 20 cfm from a blower is suppose to equal almost the double from a normal fan cuz there is no deadspot... Correct me if I'm wrong...

Back