• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7v fan mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

oddly enough i cant find any info on hgow to do a 7V mod.

i assumed using the 5V ground on a 12V cable would give me 7V, but i used my multimeter and it seemed to still read 12V. possibly because i was using an AT PSU at that time, would it be different for an ATX?

did a search for you, after searching through some threads, i came up with this web addy :)

volt mod link (link originally posted by: archilochus)

edit: im not a moderator, but please try to put as much questions into one thread please :) edit the first thread if you have to, will keep the board a bit more clean :)

oh sorry, i'm used ot posting at BEOG, they always gave me a hard time for putting multiple questions about different things in the same thread, i'll keep that in mind! thanks for the link, the search never seems ot work for me...

You could also try www.fanbus.com
Its a site not only showing the 7volt mod but also how to make a fan/bay or rheobus all in easy to understand text and drawings.

I made a 4 channel fanbus for 20 bucks (this includes 9 bucks for a soldering iron) while the cheapest premade 1 i could find was 15
and i would have to dissasamble it and assamble the parts in/onto my 51/2 inch bay cover.

Mine isnt ghetto, as all components are inside a blak plastic component box thats epoxied to the back side of the 5 1/2 drive bay blank.

It looks and functions better then my mates fanmate thingy
which lacks the power to switch on a ccfl (the switch gets hot and melts away)

If u lower the voltage from 12 to 7 volts ,the fan slows down thus making less noise but it also creates less airflow.

Most people however find that at 7 volts airflow is still sufficient to cool the system.
So u get less noise while still having sufficient airflow.

I can run 4 7 volt fans for the noise of 1 12 volt fan, so airflow is actually up in my rig while there is less noise.

GTac02 said:
hmm i rather get a premade one thats not "ghetto"...

It would only be "ghetto" if you made it that way.
You see, that's the whole advantage of making something yourself.
It can take any form you wish. :p

Back