• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling a radeon 9500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vincent_1985

just wondering a few questiosn reguard this video card.

1. how to go about removing hte stock fan first.
2. what can i use to cool it? air preferrably. In what i mean liek is it the same as cooling a cpu? cuz the core is smaller and stuff. and you know the holes in differnet places

see how the stock HSF is attached (usualy two pins hold it to the core)

then see if you can remove it easily, if so, think about a replacement... that fits on that same attaching way..

why do u want to upgrade your 9500 cooling? doing some bad-*** OC'ing? or just for kicks? :p

that thing is hot as hell have u ever seen the 9500 running load it's hot the stock cooling is VERY insufficient

Well, whether or not the radeon gets hot is not an issue as long as you get it to do what you want it to. If you have one of those older junkier heatsinks, I understand if you want something a little...how should i put it, sexier, lol - like the silver heatsink on my 9800 - - I jumped for joy when i opened my box to see that it did indeed come with the silver one. lol. (with the silver heatsink, my radeon gets hotter than the CPU - and when i took it outside (29*F) it got like, another 15MHz on the core, so...yeah, i suppose better cooling can help. but it depends on the temp ur getting it to - as ur never gonna get 29*F indoors, lol, not without a peltier or phase change of some sort)

Thanks silver sink sam.

i'll check it out..

it's just hey the cooler the better and the longer it last eh? can't hurt to invest a bit of money for a large return in value, performance and life.

vincent_1985 said:
Thanks silver sink sam.

i'll check it out..

it's just hey the cooler the better and the longer it last eh? can't hurt to invest a bit of money for a large return in value, performance and life.

It should cool about 50% better than the Stock heatsink at the same noise levels, at the quiet setting it will cool the same as the stock heatsink and be inaudible. Its a nice heatsink and imho is the best 'out of the box' solution for Radeon 9xxx series cards.

If you are capable of modding a heatsink a cooljag 1U will outperform the VGA silencer, but either will get the job done.

Back