• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ordered the wrong memory...should I RMA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkyTechnician

Well, I just did a big order for the computers I'm planning on building for my parents, brother and myself. With all of the parts I ordered, I guess I wasn't paying attention and ended up ordering the wrong memory for myself.

Instead of 1GB of PC3200 Corsair XMS, I ended up ordering PC2700 instead :(

I was planning on overclocking with my 2500+ Barton and NF7-S but if I RMA this to zipzoomfly, I'll end up eating the 15% restocking fee which comes out to about 30 bucks.

How high do you think I can get with this RAM? Should I just eat the 30 bucks and get PC3200 or higher?

Get the higher speed RAM, it will help for OCing, but RMAing it will get you more of the same, and plus that would be unethical even if you did get pc3200 back. just accept the restocking fee or try to avoid it by talking to their customer servive, and dont make the same mistake again.

9mmCensor said:
Get the higher speed RAM, it will help for OCing, but RMAing it will get you more of the same, and plus that would be unethical even if you did get pc3200 back. just accept the restocking fee or try to avoid it by talking to their customer servive, and dont make the same mistake again.

I guess I should have been clearer in my original post, I had no intention of trying to pull anything over on anyone.
My plan was just to get return the merchandise due to my error and not for any other reason. Although I'm a little bummed out, I have no problem accepting the $30.00 restocking fee since it was due to an error on my part. I'm usually really careful when ordering but I was in such a hurry to get the orders off before I went out of town and now I'm kicking myself over it.

I guess I meant to ask if there was any hope that I could realistically reach PC3200 speed with the memory that I ordered. I'm thinking no, but I thought I'd just see what others thought.

What kind of memory did you get? If you got BH5 chips those will OC very well.
If you have heatspreaders on your memory I dont advise taking those off to find out, though.

cobray said:
What kind of memory did you get? If you got BH5 chips those will OC very well.
If you have heatspreaders on your memory I dont advise taking those off to find out, though.

Yea, I don't even want to take them out of the packaging since I was planning on returning them. They do have the heat spreaders on them and unfortunately everything I've read so far after doing a search on the boards indicates that they do not contain BH5 chips.

Last edited:
I don't believe they are 5ns chips in Corsair's XMS PC2700. The short while I had them a bit they performed like normal 6ns low-latency (incapable of speeds above ~200MHz w/ half-decent timings).

Back