• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS-5 is not what I expected!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timmybighands

I just recieved a tube of the new as-5, and I have to admitt, it's not what I thought it would be. To start with, it's MUCH thicker than the old AS-3. It did not spread over the CPU very easy.

Previously, I was using AS-3 and a non-lapped processor and a non-lapped HS. My idle temp was 33C-35C.

Tonight I lapped my processors' heat spreader, and I lapped my Swiftech HS, and applied AS-5. My idle temp is now 39C! I am NOT a happy camper right now. If anything, my temps should be down from the lapping... but this AS-5 was supposed to help you achieve 2C lower - IT DID NOT. I am disappointed right now, to say the least.

I know that I lapped both the CPU and the HS correctly, as I have *a little* experience doing so, lol. The only thing I can think of is that the AS-5 SUCKS, or I may have to re-mount the HS. Has anyone else out there sufferred the effects of AS-5 yet? Maybe you have a suggestion for me.

I am guessing you put on too much. I just switched from Ceramique to AS5. Initially, I saw no improvement. Then I did the installation over with a thinner layer. I went from about 40/46 with Ceramique to 39/44 with AS5. I would think the improvement from AS3 should be even greater.

Hmm. Well, how would I go about thinning it? I used a CC at a 45* angle to spread it... and I did it like I always used to with the AS-3. Should I just wipe it and start over?

Excellent suggestion - I will give the blade a try.

*D*mn big hands*
M4100056.JPG

Yeah, thanks Colin.

From reading the link you should NOT spread the AS-5? I read it thorouly and noticed that you put a dab, about the size of an uncooked grain of rice in the center - which I did (but then I spread it thin). And then just put the HS down and wiggle. Since I cant wiggle my HS, what should I do?

I think it's just on too thick.

RTFM

As Colin would probably tell you, do NOT spread AS5 in a thin layer on the IHS or core of the CPU, place a drop in the middle and let mounting pressure spread it for you.

I dropped about 3 deg C from AS3.

If you use it right, you'll get better results.

If you can’t shake like my sister Kate, just clamp it down and loose the frown. :D

Yes, it’s late Friday afternoon and we are having way too much fun here…

You cant say for certain that AS5 sucks because you also lapped your heatsink, too....

OH man, i just got a new case, with better airflow, and some AS-5 an upgrade from my as-3. And my temp dropped big time!!. Right now i'm running at 2.3 ghz 1.8 vcore. and my load temp is 32 degs. helps that it's only 60 degs in my basement. BUT WOW, that like a 6-8 deg drop all together.

Well, I just re-applied the AS-5 in the CORRECT manner (linked to above).

My temps are now 43C at idle (at 3.2ghz/ 265fsb) and 45C load. While it is not climbing too high at load, it's still IDLING too high. I cant say for certain that it's the AS-5 that is making this difference - especially since it's oc'd right now.

Timmybighands said:
Well, I just re-applied the AS-5 in the CORRECT manner (linked to above).

My temps are now 43C at idle (at 3.2ghz/ 265fsb) and 45C load. While it is not climbing too high at load, it's still IDLING too high. I cant say for certain that it's the AS-5 that is making this difference - especially since it's oc'd right now.

Don't know how much more clearly we can try and make this...

Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

Back